Lil' indian sabre budget project

markus

Figure I'll start a thread going Its a lil indian, Most likely a Sabre. Its got alot of patina, lot of pitts in the metal, bike is straight as an arrow and not hacked or modded though.

when I found it:

I had stripped it down a few weeks ago. Its just been sitting off to the side. I had to set up the sandblast cabinet today as I had to blast The tecumseh kick start housing for my sears project bike before I could go any further with it. So since the cabinet was out and setup I started grabbing anything that was nearby that needed work done. The lil' indians wheels were loose and ready to go so the build begins!

Fresh out of the blast cabinet, I will half ass polish them up but they look nice with the Old school General tires I bought a few weeks back:

I tried blasting on the forks and swingarm, but fine glass beads are not doing much of anything. so I'm going to have to get a little more physical with it.
Before I went any further I needed to fix 2 bad spots I noticed on the bottom of the frame.

after a little welding/grinding:

This is the motor I plan to use, Its a cast Iron bore briggs 5hp. I dunno how it runs, it was on a muskin cat I parted out, theres no visible damage and its not all crusty so I'm crossing my fingers its gonna run. It fits real nice in the frame, would rather see a correct tec in there, but this motor was free!

so I started to grind and sand on the frame, still pretty rough texture:thumbdown:

Thats all I got for now

Have you tried using a wire wheel on your grinder? I used one on my aggie bike and it took it down to bare metal really easily. Good luck with the project!

markus

markus,please keep us up to date,i have the twin of yous
that i need to do,thanks for sharing,
wayne will do, I bet you have a twin to just about every bike that comes through OldMiniBikes though, you guys have all the cool stuff:thumbsup:

Have you tried using a wire wheel on your grinder? I used one on my aggie bike and it took it down to bare metal really easily. Good luck with the project!
06-04-2010 11:27 PM
I haven't, I dug around and cant seem to find any in the shop, Once i got the sandblast cabinet a few years ago I really did not use them that much. I have to make a run tot he hardware store though sometime for some stuff so I'll pick one up. If anything it will help in the hard to reach places on the frame.

I started to work on my boat to get ready for an upcoming trip so minibikes might come to screeching halt for a few weeks!

wayne will do, I bet you have a twin to just about every bike that comes through OldMiniBikes though, you guys have all the cool stuff:thumbsup:

I haven't, I dug around and cant seem to find any in the shop, Once i got the sandblast cabinet a few years ago I really did not use them that much. I have to make a run tot he hardware store though sometime for some stuff so I'll pick one up. If anything it will help in the hard to reach places on the frame.

I started to work on my boat to get ready for an upcoming trip so minibikes might come to screeching halt for a few weeks!
Wayne has a wealth of minibikes, but his true wealth is his kindness and consideration! We could all learn from that! :thumbsup: