My Disney trip from HELL!!!!!!!

jeep4me

Well, I got back from my trip to Disney this past Sunday. The trip started out great. We made great time to my brother's house in Beaufort, SC. Stayed there for a couple of nights and had an awesome time. Continued from there to Orlando. Spent some time shopping and sight seeing, hung out by the pool, went to the Blizzard Beach water park at Disney (kids had no interest in the other parks) and had a great time. Got up early on Saturday to get an early start on the 20 hour drive home. Unfortunately, the Jeep only wanted to go as far as Athens, TN (about 680 shy of our destination), the oil pump on her went out and it blew a rod and unfortunately the engine. So at 8:30pm we called a wrecker and got back on the road at 12am, this time the Jeep was riding on the flatbed and the 5 of us were cramped into the king size cab of a tow truck.

We arrived in MI at 12 noon on Sunday and, after paying the $1940 towing bill, started unpacking. No towing insurance and the Jeep is 10,000 miles out of warranty. My parents showed up a few minutes later to return our family pets that they had been watching for us, a 13 year old golden retriever and a hamster. And once again another HUGE disappointment. The dog passed away on Friday night from heart failure and other complications. What the F&$@ !!! Now the whole family was crying. I didn't know what to cry about, my empty bank account or the loss of a great pet.

Anyway, things are really weird around here for me right now. And you may start seeing some things go up for sale that probably otherwise never would. (Sorry, TEEKS, not the El Burro). I gotta raise some money to get a new engine for the Jeep.

Basically, the trip was great, but the ending was :001_9898:!!! It'll be one to remember that's for sure.

KB2ROCKET

I have lost a pet while on vacation its true they really do miss us and dont understand why they are in a new enviroment
sorry to hear about your pet and jeep and your bank account
better days are comeing hang in there:oops:

Jeep4me : Sure not the vacation to dream about in your memories . And the shock of loosing a loving pet while you were gone is so hard on the family. But it is not any easyier if you were at home.
You need to place all the parts of this vacation from Hell into different boxes and remember the good time at your Brothers and the time in Orlando and you will recover. Wishing you only the best in your recovery efforts.
Steve :scooter:

bandit 40

Sorry to hear of all your troubles, and the loss of a pet:sadcrying4:,that does :censure:suck Well I hope things get better, and may god bless you and your family, through these difficult times , take care.Mark

It's wierd. As a child we returned home from a trip and the dog waited for us to return to say goodbye and die. That was the similarity. Did you see the dog alive when you actually got home? If so, the dog waited for your return. Some are not so lucky.

DD, was my first animal. (Candy) She waited until we came home and my father stayed up all night knowing the end was coming....:confused:

Towing sucks. Even with AAA plus it's 100 miles. Get a new dog, a fresh rebuild and be blessed the dog lived to 13 years X 7 in dog years is good!

Big sorry...............!!!!!!!!! from, Tacoterminator!

jeep4me

Thanks you guys!! It's been real crappy the last few days, but after talking to friends and family things a getting back to normal. The kids don't seem to be taking the loss of the dog as hard as their mom and me. I just wish she would have still been alive when we got home, so I could say goodbye.

As far as the Jeep goes, I've talked to some mechanic friends and they all are telling me to get in touch with Chrysler and explain my situation and tell them my story. Most say that they wouldn't be suprised if they help me out in some way. It's worth a shot.

I'm sure in time our family will look back on this trip and laugh, a little.

Once again, thanks for all the words of support.

jeep4me

What kind of Jeep and what engine?

Pics?
2004 Jeep Liberty 4x4, 3.7 Litre, V-6. The Jeep is at the dealership so I don't have pics. It has 84,700 miles on it.

I talked to Chrysler and I'm hoping that they'll cover some of the engine replacement cost. I had to have it looked at by a Chrysler dealer before they could make any decision about what will be done. The dealer called me back today and said that the timing chain jumped a tooth or two which caused the pistons to hit the valves, and, well I think you can figure the rest out.

The dealer has a used engine with 195 miles on it, YES 195 MILES, and can install it at the "out-the-door" price of $3300. Now if Chrysler pays for even half of it I'd be happy.

I should know more tomorrow.

Seems to be a problematic engine that 3.7

We've had one broke down at our shop for months. Dropped a valve and hammered the piston. Still ran though...barely.

Is there warranty or something?

jeep4me

Yeah I have more than one the other is a 97 Grand Cherokee, nothing oldschool.

Mine also dropped a valve, after the valve spring broke.

Here are some nice photos of the aftermath....