Nice day at the Range.

I finally got to get my new 1911 (.45) out of the box today. I picked it up at a local gun show in November. I was there hunting for some ratty old shotguns to fix and flip but I couldn't seem to pass up this 1911 for $150. I'd heard plenty of bad opinions on Rock Island Armory's so I went into it expecting to get just what I paid for.

This little guy was an ABSOLUTE STEAL of a 1911. My girlfriend and I(this was her first firearm experience of any kind) pushed 100 rounds through it in about an hour. Surprisingly the GF didn't want to leave and volunteered to buy some more rounds. She came back from the office with a box of 50 NASTY re-loads and the Rock Island handled them perfectly. Right out of the box it's putting them down range just as smooth and accurate as my $800 Kimber. Plus the nickel plating looks pretty damn nice.

While you might not be able to find as good a price from a legitimate dealer as the somewhat shady looking gun show merchant I found.... I highly recommend Rock Island Armory to anyone looking for something reliable and cost effective.

Glad you guys had a good time.

That was an unusual deal for a 1911. :thumbsup:

The RIA guns are cheaper because they are made in the Philippines (Like Charles daily) and are the same as "Armscore" You hardly ever see a 1911 sell for less than $300 on a GS table or a shop so that was a good deal. Most people are happy with their RIA's.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Yea... I was really taken aback by the price. It was the last day of a 3 day show and nearing closing time. The guy seemed a little peculiar but I had all the numbers run and the gun's clean. I really had no need for another 1911 to go along with my Kimber, but I figured at least I could probably make a quick $100 bucks flipping it. Now I'm thinking if I get rid of one it might just be the Kimber. Of course I'll have to push a few more rounds through it before I commit to that, but the way it preformed today really surprised the heck outta me.

If your Kimber is a pre II, I'd hang on to it.

Does the RIA work with other brand mags? (some don't) (check to see if it stays back on the last round with other mags too)

i traded a 40 of Mickeys for a semi-auto 12ga. now that's a hell of a deal. it just sucks that it's not legal though (about 95% sure it isn't stolen either). :laugh:

OldMan

I'll give you a $175... for the Kimber! :biggrin:

Sounds like a nice time... it's always just a bit better when the bargain out-does your expectations!

Very nice,find well done

I finally got to get my new 1911 (.45) out of the box today. I picked it up at a local gun show in November. I was there hunting for some ratty old shotguns to fix and flip but I couldn't seem to pass up this 1911 for $150. I'd heard plenty of bad opinions on Rock Island Armory's so I went into it expecting to get just what I paid for.

This little guy was an ABSOLUTE STEAL of a 1911. My girlfriend and I(this was her first firearm experience of any kind) pushed 100 rounds through it in about an hour. Surprisingly the GF didn't want to leave and volunteered to buy some more rounds. She came back from the office with a box of 50 NASTY re-loads and the Rock Island handled them perfectly. Right out of the box it's putting them down range just as smooth and accurate as my $800 Kimber. Plus the nickel plating looks pretty damn nice.

While you might not be able to find as good a price from a legitimate dealer as the somewhat shady looking gun show merchant I found.... I highly recommend Rock Island Armory to anyone looking for something reliable and cost effective.

here are a couple of my favs

Ruger .357 nickle plated single action,very rugged and accurate for fixed sights!!

colt 1911a1.(1939 erra)
paid $100 also in 1990,but added comp.barrel and bushing,bomar sights,adj.comp tiggger,pakmar grips,and had to parkerize it.. stands me under $500.00
Fired many homemade rounds to hot, thru it,even blew the front sight off twice..ohwpss...

Last edited: