No spark on my 5HP Briggs!!

Long story short. I saw cjtmini's Doodle Bug and decided to get one. First thing I did was remove the little 2.8 and replace it with a 5Hp Briggs I had. The motor was sitting for a LONG time so before I made the swap I wanted to see if it would run. I put fresh gas and checked it for spark and it started after a few pulls. After cutting new mounting holes and getting everything hooked up now I won't start!! I'm not getting any spark so I replaced the coil with a brand new. Still no spark!! Could it be something with the flywheel??
Thanks in advance,
Jerry

Try a different plug, check fly wheel magnets for strength, and check air gap from the coil to wheel. (buisness card thickness test will work)

If your flywheel is rusty take a wire brush or sand paper to the magnets(also the other part on the bottom). That's got the spark back on a couple of briggs I've worked on.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice guys. I've tried wire brushing the flywheel, I switched the plug, disconected the kill switch, and set the coil gap at .010 and still nothing!! The plug was a used one but it's from a running motor. Do you think a new plug could make a difference?

It's probably not the plug. Try either plug on a different engine if you're got one to try it on. Pop the top on it and touch it to the engines head(or anything medal) and give it a pull, watch for a spark every time. Just don't shock yourself. Also the plug(s) may need to be cleaned. If so, just tale sandpaper to the top and bottom, where the spark travels.

About it still giving no spark, I might have a little more advice.
Which kind of armature does it have?
http://faqs.custhelp.com/rnt/rnw/img/enduser/102-the_evolution_of_the_ignition_armature.jpg

Thanks again everyone. I found the problem. The first coil had one black wire grounded and the other to the kill switch. When I changed the coil I wired it the same not realizing both black wires were for the kill switch! It has plenty of spark now!