Oil Air Filter Type Carb Problem

I got my old briggs running on my princess auto 1973 mini bike. It has the oil style air filter/cleaner. The butterfly on the carb doesnt adjust the speed. It seems to be stuck on idle, and then even then it dies out after running about 7 seconds. I took the intake off and the butterfly opens and closes, but it wont rev the motor up? what could be wrong here? I also dont know the year or hp since the shroud isnt original.

There is a good chance the jets in the carb are clogged with old fuel varnish. If the machine has had old fuel left in it this is the most likely case. Does it have the shallow 1qt tank or the deeper 2qt tank?

There is a good chance the jets in the carb are clogged with old fuel varnish. If the machine has had old fuel left in it this is the most likely case. Does it have the shallow 1qt tank or the deeper 2qt tank?
I converted it to a chrome tank, it was ran, or atleast drained of gas. I just ran with no exhaust to test it. It stays at idle then seems to choke out.

Chrome fuel tanks come in all shapes and sizes, we must identify the carb so I can suggest the next steps.

1. Is it the vacujet carb (tank mounted under carb and shallow), pulsajet carb (tank mounted under carb and deep) or the float type ("leakjet") carb that uses an external gas tank?

2. Do you have access to a Briggs repair manual?

3. If you can keep it running with a dribble of starting fluid/gasoline then the carb is the most likely problem

Last edited:
If it's a non float carb and you have gravity feed gas to it it will flood out real quick and probably fill engine oil with gas pics would be worth 1000's of words