race motor

Define serious by a $ amount. Unlimited budget? Probably a Rhino, then PM-1, Blockzilla, then Raptor for Briggs. Think there is 1 more I can't remember.

If you want Tecumseh, there is the Tecumseh Star engine.

Last edited:

mini99

i'm on a budget all right. i figured i could start lookin at parts and build it piece by piece, or maybe pick up a used jr. dragster motor. thanks for the info!

Well what is the rough budget a brand new top of the line race motor is going to set you back $5000 probably. If you say $1000 your limited to a raptor, star or maybe a used blockzilla.

mini99

i'm lookin to spend 2 - 3 grand maybe
just out of curiosity what are they gettin out of a top of the line motor for hp
these days? back when i raced karts we had an open 5hp class and most guys were runnin blockzillas on like 30-40% nitro but nobody ever put one on a dyno

I would guess 40-50+ HP, but that in all honesty a complete guess. You could ask around on 4cycle thats bout it.

Here is Mike Clements blog, he has a few open motors posted on there for sale. He also builds some crazy motors.
Clements Racing Enterprises

Whaley builds a pretty mean motor from what I've read, I've seen a lot of guys praise him on the forums also.

Mcgee is also another builder that makes top level stuff.

Last edited: