Recoil Assembly Won’t Come Off

Demerest

My recoil rope won’t retract so I removed the three bolts to take the recoil assembly off and something is causing it to get hung up. I have tried everything and can’t get it to come off. Any ideas?

After looking at your pictures, I need to ask...how long has it been sitting?

I would get a piece of wood to cover that Homelite sticker, and I would give it a few sharp smacks with a hammer.

I have tried pretty much everything. I have removed lots of recoils but not Predators. I thought there was maybe some trick to it. Even the internet yielded nothing. It seems like the recoil spring is hung up inside. The recoil assembly is completely free, just won’t come off. The engine ran recently so nothing is seized.

Can you pull the rope without connecting to the engine starter cup? Have you smacked the recoil assembly? It seems like one of the fingers that swings out to contact the cup is stuck out. Smack it again.

The spring is engaged in the cup all the time. When I pull the cord it turns the engine over. When I let go the whole recoil assembly spins around and winds the cord up again.

I'm looking at a spare one I had. The little fingers that swing out to engage the cup will not retract unless the recoil is flat on the shroud.
I would reinstall the bolts, then hit it with an old boot. If that doesn't work, kick it again. One of the fingers is engaging the cup.