Starting problem

Experts;
Found an old 71 R2 in a barn last fall and proceeded to fix 'er up over the winter months. Its got the original Tec HS40 which runs pretty darn well. Got everything back together and she runs great except for a couple of issues:

1 - When I pull the starter sometimes it locks up. It either rips the handle right out of my hand, or I lift the whole bike 6 inches off of the ground. It doesn't happen all the time, about half the time. If it does I just pull gently to reposition it, and the next pull works great. The coil and everything appear to be working correctly. Any ideas?

2 - Getting a little bit of a whirring noise from the front wheel. If it were my car I'd say its a bearing. Are they replaceable?

Once that front end issue is resolved, gotta figure out how to give her a little more "pep", but I'm sure there are plenty of threads about that in this forum.

Thx in advance!

Thanks guys, I'll re-check the flywheel key and replace those bearings. Thats what I like about these bikes, pretty easy to work on, and lots of good advice available.

Check the flywheel, I have one where the flywheel rubs on the recoil mount nuts I think it a different flywheel. I measured it and it about a 1/16 wider than another one I have.