Tecumseh 5hp 2-Cycle

I recently picked up a Craftsman snow blower with a 5HP Tecumseh 2-cycle. It seems to be a pretty strong engine, but I was curious if anyone has adapted one of these for a mini or a kart. From what I can tell, an earlier variant of this was used on some minibikes (as the AH817MB), but I have not found the snowblower motor being repurposed for something like this.

-Rob

I might have to try that. Sounds cool Eric. I have one of those on my rotted out snow blower. Engine runs like a champ, but frame is rusted out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

140cc should be a hoot. Other piston-port engines on minis haven't tickled their owners as much, though.
Intake port really looks big enough to adapt a reed cage and open the piston skirt, gain power on both ends.

That 3hp sounds pretty good! Thanks for sharing - I was hoping to see if these work well in this type of application, before I put it on another snowblower or something. :laugh:

I think the hardest part will be choosing a clutch (this thing has an interesting crankshaft, with most of it being 1") followed by getting a mounting plate. Should be interesting though!

-Rob

That 3hp sounds pretty good! Thanks for sharing - I was hoping to see if these work well in this type of application, before I put it on another snowblower or something. :laugh:

I think the hardest part will be choosing a clutch (this thing has an interesting crankshaft, with most of it being 1") followed by getting a mounting plate. Should be interesting though!

-Rob
I would, and have, gone with a simple jackshaft, mount the clutch there. Easy to change gearing, engine/clutch ratio alters engagement to make up for soggy bottom end.