Tecumseh H30 3hp

RobK

My son and I are rebuilding a Manco Thunderbird we bought without an engine. I scrounged up a Tecumseh H30 3hp engine on a Craftsman edger. I’m guessing it’s a ‘90s era model, but it could be older. It's the "compact" version with the fuel tank over the carb. However, the engine is getting no fuel at all. It will fire on carb cleaner spray or starter fluid, but it's obviously not sucking any gasoline. I took the carb apart and cleaned everything, but no luck. I have to assume the diaphragm pump is the problem. Correct? I haven’t worked on one of these in 30 years.
My second question is about that horrible looking manifold that zig zags down under the fuel tank. The bore of the carb and the port on the block is around 18 or 20 mm. The bore on the manifold appears to be only around 10 or 12mm. Considering the need for air flow on these small engines, I’m not sure I understand the small bore on the manifold. Can anybody explain?
Also, I have to assume removing or drastically modifying the governor will result in a nice new hole in the block. At least without a billet rod, correct? Any simple mods we can do? This is just a fun project, so I don’t plan on spending a whole lot of money. We’ll play with it a while and sell it to buy something else.

Get a diaphragm kit for the carb and clean it out good. The small intake manifold promotes low speed torque. Lots of guys get away with governor modification or removal, as long as you watch over-reving of the engine.