Tecumseh timing? need help!

The easiest way if it's together is to run power through the points and test lamp. With the piston .030" to .035" in the hole BTDC turn the ing. assy so the points are at the highest point on the lobe and gap them at .020, turn the assy. slowly until the light comes on and lock it down.
:scooter:

7kevin

My dumb ass took the magnito off to replace the condenser. I reset the timing and now i can get it to idle rough, but when i give it gas it dies. I've been messing with the carb but can't seem to get it to run right. I'm thinking of taking it to a small engine pro. :confused: :censure: :cursing::mad2:

Just line it up with the old marks. The washers cut into the stator so it's easy to see where it was. It don't sound like a timing issue so I would just line it back up and start looking at the carb.

You can time it with out taking the head off. You need a dial indicator that has a remove-able contact point on it. Thread off the contact point and put a piece of stiff wire on it, bend the end of the wire into an L shape so it can reach in through the plug hole and touch the piston, mount the indicator to the motor. Do as described above checking the close - open position relative to the max piston upward travel subtract the amount of travel for the correct timing event. I checked mine this way - no issues.