The Animal arrived today

The Briggs and Stratton Animal that I am putting into my homemade mini project has arrived. It was shipped to me in Oklahoma by my father in Arizona. It might not look like much, but this thing is a beast.

Its going into this:

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
The Animal is a basic 6.5hp engine with a aftermarket carb, and pipe. So it allows it to make 8hp on gas. Maybe only 7hp with that muffler on it.

Be careful with the TAV bolted to it, and running low gearing.

Be careful? This is the motor and TAV2 that I had on my kart. It was crazy. It only makes 8hp, but it smokes 8hp motors. My buddy had a techumseh 9hp with a TAV on his kart, which was build to the same exact specs as mine, and he could not touch me.

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
There is a big difference there.

Yes he had a 9hp factory engine. It's larger and setup to make the power at to low of a RPM. So it's more weight, and less RPM.

You have lighter weight, and higher RPM. That will win every time.

Now if he had a 6.5hp Honda, or 7hp Subaru with the same carb you would be in trouble. Same weight and same RPM, or better. The good thing that helps the briggs is the larger cam, and the Animal has a aluminum flywheel.

Regarless, its fast. Oh, and I did not run that muffler. Thats something my brother put on it because neigbors would complain when they rode the go kart in the neigborhood. I had a stinger pipe on it. It was LOUD! Too loud. So the Subies are good? They have the 7hp at harbor frieght for like 299. I might pick one up for my next project and slap a motorcyle carb on it and fab a header for it. I have to fab a new header for the animal because that muffler is not going to cut it.

Well..... If I might make a suggestion, If you ever decide to build that motor whic personally I would, Buy a good ported head for that motor from dyno cams, also buy your cam and all valvetrain componets from them. They are great to deal with, Also put you a good tilly in that thing and let it breath!

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
Don't buy a dyno cam.

If you want to make it faster just buy and install the briggs WF parts into it.

5hpbriggs has been on other sites reading a lot of baloney. Not every motor is a pro race kart engine.

Last edited:

Oldsalt

minidragbike. What is the difference between the cams? I went to the dyno cam website and noticed they did not provide any info re: lobe centers and lift and duration and etc. Where can that type of info be obtained? The billit rods looked cool. Does anyone make forged steel rods?

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
No forged steel rods available.

Dyno Cams does that to be secret with other small engine cam companies. It really doesn't work either.

The difference is that the briggs WF cam is a grind that's factory made for running on gasoline. And it's a slightly milder grind all together. It also has the compression release on it, that makes it easy to pull start your engine.

The only thing the Animal has on the WF is the aluminum flywheel. The WF flywheel is cast iron, with a different timing mark. All the other WF parts are upgrades for the Animal.

order you a dyno cams catolog. All there cam specs are in there for all there cams. for the 5's and for the animals. The catolog is free. They also send you 8 dyno cam decals

Last edited: