Tote goat info needed

I thought I'd ask some of the Tote Goat experts here a question.

I have the opportunity to purchase a tote goat model 600 (two seats) with no motor in good condition. (I've wanted a TG for some time now). Owner states it is all complete minus motor and includes the front drive clutch and brakes are complete as well. Sent me pics and it does look to be in pretty good condition. It's painted black now, but was yellow. He wants me to make him a reasonable offer. Problem is I do not know what a 600 TG in GC with no motor is worth.

My questions are:
Would a HF 6.5 work in a TG?

If so how well would it run (I've read some TG's have super low gearing). I have the serial # off the data plate if that would help.

What would be a reasonable offer? (not looking to pay too much, but not looking to rob anyone either if you know what I mean).

The model 600 was Bonham's bread and butter. There were probably more of this model made than any other. The model 610 was the super low geared gote from this era. A 600 should be able to reach 20mph if set up properly. I have seen people put a OHV motor in a gote, but don't expect it to bolt right up. There are clearance problems with the brake when using that motor. Originally they had a briggs 6hp model 14 motor but a 7hp or 8hp should fit with no problems (model 17 and 19). I usually pay $150-200 for a gote in good condition and with the clutch.

Thanks for the replies :thumbsup:.

I think I'll make him an offer in that price range then.
My plans on this would be more of a trail rider than a full resto.

I guess I'd be better off looking for a good used 8hp briggs (if I can find one).

Outside of the normal wear and tear items to look for, is there anything in particular I should look at on this TG before buying it? Any impossible to find parts that has to be in working order? The parts are there, but I'm assuming they will need overhauled.

Ok I got some pics of it. Owner says he will take $200 for it. Comes with the clutch, but no motor. I thought I'd ask some of you guys who know about these TG's here to see what you think.

The clutch in the corner of your first picture isn't a Bonham Climbaway clutch. I would only offer $100.
I wondered about that. You may have saved me some time and money finding one. Glad I ran this by you guys first before buying. Thanks for the info Richard.:thumbsup:

I may just pass then and wait to find a more complete TG. I can find other TG's, but finding one locally that I can pick up is the problem.

If you plan on riding it, I would put an OHV on it. I had a 600 with an OHV and it went great. The only clearance problem was the muffler and that was easily fixed. If it is a 1" clutch that is no problem, they make 3/4"-1" bushings that you can easily buy and they work very well.

delray

i am with richard,$200 might be little high?but still cool to get. $100-150 would still make a cool project.
are there really alot of totes in penn.........:shrug: i thought they were only west coast bikes only....:shrug: