What’s Better, And Why?

Id say both are equal in stock form as far as power. The castings and some parts are different.When it comes to modify the internals. The hemi will most likely need crank and cam clearancing to allow for a bigger camshaft. The hemi would be a better option if you plan to build the motor.

I was wondering this myself. A friend has a HF generator with a hemi 6.5 engine. It’s the quietest engine I have ever heard. Is either one run quieter in stock form? I have thought about replacing the 196 cc engine in my CT200U with a Predator, but don’t know which one would be better. It would stay stock with the exception of maybe the rpm turned up to 4,000-4,200. Jay

I was wondering this myself. A friend has a HF generator with a hemi 6.5 engine. It’s the quietest engine I have ever heard. Is either one run quieter in stock form? I have thought about replacing the 196 cc engine in my CT200U with a Predator, but don’t know which one would be better. It would stay stock with the exception of maybe the rpm turned up to 4,000-4,200. Jay
The few generators that I've seen have had a much larger muffler than what would be practical on a minibike, about the size of a small minibike seat. I've seen (but can't now find) dynamometer graphs for both; the hemi produced 8 HP and the non-hemi 7 HP, stock. I suggest checking out the Ducar 212. It's more money but it comes equipped with a PVL flywheel and governed at 5,300 rpm. It also has a sturdier block than a Predator. I don't have a Ducar but I think it's what I'd get if I needed/wanted another 212.

https://www.dynocams.com/item/212-1000/ducar212/

SAS289

What's wrong with your 196? At 4000 RPM you get a little more torque from a 212 but that's about it. Or are you wanting the 3/4" crankshaft?

I just can't see discarding a decent running 196 for a 212. I would use the $100 to add power to the 196.

the Hemi uses a regular honda gx200 and clone style sidecover gasket and uses the same camshaft. The non hemi has a different camshaft journal and sidecover gasket. if you are buying the motor to mod it and you do not have a large stock of motors around that are 196 or real honda gx200 then it does not make much difference. If you are like me with more motors than common sense and lots of cams then its only makes sense for me to use the hemi as I can experiment with different cams and only have to stock the gx200 style gaskets. Most of my motors I use a 14cc style head so I don't use the hemi headgasket. That is a whole other subject but it is easier to build a gx200 type head than the hemi even with the hemi's better port angle and pressure recovery.

So for the hemi the pro's are:
same cam journal size as the gx200 and other honda clones
Same sidecover gasket
Flat top piston.
good head ports.
Negatives:
Oddball crank taper.

Non hemi pro's: (current versions)
27/25 valves with 5 mm stem flows good stock RTC8, RTC 9

Thanks everyone for the replies. Charles S, I have a Champion generator with the exact same muffler that is way louder. After listening to both of them run for several weekends, it’s the engine itself that is so quiet on the HF Predator generator. I would buy one tomorrow but the HF is not a 3200 watt unit, it’s 2 1600 watt units that can’t be combined. SAS 289, my 196 has a 3/4 crank, my reason for considering a replacement was vibration. My oldest daughter (43) has a non hemi Predator on her Baja Viper and it runs much smoother. OLE4 I’m not planning to do any mods to the engine. The only thing that I did to the 196 is back out the governor screw until it would go 4300 rpm when I had the stock clutch set up. Now that I have a torque converter about 38-3900 is all it will do and the top speed is 42 mph. If I bought a new HF 212 I think I would try the hemi. Jay

The few generators that I've seen have had a much larger muffler than what would be practical on a minibike, about the size of a small minibike seat. I've seen (but can't now find) dynamometer graphs for both; the hemi produced 8 HP and the non-hemi 7 HP, stock. I suggest checking out the Ducar 212. It's more money but it comes equipped with a PVL flywheel and governed at 5,300 rpm. It also has a sturdier block than a Predator. I don't have a Ducar but I think it's what I'd get if I needed/wanted another 212.

https://www.dynocams.com/item/212-1000/ducar212/
The Ducar 212 is a good option for those looking into the Tillotson engines as they're basically the same, except the Ducar is a bit cheaper. A friend has a Tillotson 212 and I have a Ducar 212, they're the same engine.

Last edited: