winter project....need ideas

starting to build a mini bike from scratch so far i got the frame almost done just after about 3 hours....give me some pointers and ideas...thanks
C:\Documents and Settings\Jonathan\My Documents\My Pictures\Alabama\100_1444.jpg

Last edited:

Oldsalt

I think choppers ar cool. Antiques are interesting. Hopped up minis are fun to look at [and I suppose ride]. But I really like a straightforward mini with no jack shaft. and no suspension. Scrub brake and thumb throttle would complete the picture. Heck. This is the OLD mini bike site!

I'm just the opposite. I like suspension, plenty of power. comfortable seating and good ergonomics. I like brakes front and rear. I spend alot of time on the foot pegs and where they are located. I like to use parts from junked out mini motorcycles. There are a lot of them lying around and they have a wealth of usable parts like throttles, forks, pegs, shocks, etc. I usually use old mini bike frames. But building your own is cool also. Roto tillers are a good sorce for parts also. They sometimes have belt covers that make good clutch covers. I have fried a few tennis shoes on hot clutchs. Make it safe and have fun!

I like old school and "KISS" (keep it simple stupid) Jack shafts are just fine if they came that way but shock are for motor cycles. (though I have a few with :doah: )

However if you're building new, do what ever it calls you to do, it your paint brush. :thumbsup:

Oldsalt

I'm just the opposite. I like suspension, plenty of power. comfortable seating and good ergonomics. I like brakes front and rear. I spend alot of time on the foot pegs and where they are located. I like to use parts from junked out mini motorcycles. There are a lot of them lying around and they have a wealth of usable parts like throttles, forks, pegs, shocks, etc. I usually use old mini bike frames. But building your own is cool also. Roto tillers are a good sorce for parts also. They sometimes have belt covers that make good clutch covers. I have fried a few tennis shoes on hot clutchs. Make it safe and have fun!
I gotta admit that if you do any serious riding suspension, power and etc. are necessary.

well i was going for maybee drag style mini....it looks like its already going to turn out like that....no shocks...just a rigid frame...and plenty of h.p...with a 10'' wide tire in the back

Oldsalt

dirtracer
There are a lot of good pictures of drag bikes on this site, and a lot of good ideas. When I see something I like it gets printed and put in a folder for later reference. I want a drag style mini too. Thinking about hot rodding a 46 Doodle Bug to look like a drag bike or pro-street or something like that.

KB2ROCKET

antique is cool
someone is going to build a wooden mini sooner or later :dots::drinkup::biggrin::beta1::xomunch::xmas-smiley-016:

Hmmm I don't see a picture :/

Just keep in mind turning a bike with a 10" wide tire requires quite a large turning radius at least for my grooved Burris tire. The bike will stand up without a kickstand down.