Yard Marvel Mountaineer Elk Packer

I just picked up my second Mountaineer, with Elk Packer setup. this one has a three speed transmission, instead of the two speed, like my first.

It is missing the shift fork and linkage.

Does anyone here have a 3 speed and would be able to take a few pictures so I can reproduce the missing parts

Thank you

AH817

I don't have a Mountaineer, but I do have this photo of the three speed set-up. The 3 speed isn't even mentions in the brochures I have seen. I would like to see pic of what you have!

mountaineer2.JPG

Last edited:

ah817

Thats the setup I need to reproduce. I am missing the shift fork assembly. thank you for posting that! do you have any more pictures?

This one I have owned many years... its a 1962. it has carried me many miles, doing what it was designed to do. Originally equipped with B&S 4hp Kool Bore, Salsburys CVT and two speed transmission. It will be getting a NOS 5hp B&S flathead with lighting coil.

0407221838.jpg

ah817

This is the three speed I just bought. 6hp (it will get a 5 hp like the one described above) no CVT, just a V-plex clutch. Needs band brake, front hub assembly, wheels, tires, engine and shift fork arrangement 0423221157-1.jpg ... both came with Elk Packer Racks

ah817

No need to apologize, that is a great shot, I should be able to work off of it to build something functional.

The mountaineers seem to be fairly uncommon? I can not find much information on them, new or vintage?

Thanks again!

Thats the setup I need to reproduce. I am missing the shift fork assembly. thank you for posting that! do you have any more pictures?

This one I have owned many years... its a 1962. it has carried me many miles, doing what it was designed to do. Originally equipped with B&S 4hp Kool Bore, Salsburys CVT and two speed transmission. It will be getting a NOS 5hp B&S flathead with lighting coil.

View attachment 289457
I’m in the process of restoring a mountaineer why is it your front tire shaft looks so much bigger than mine?

Looks like the bike in the photo has a front drum brake.
After looking at mine closely I see where the drum brake goes, fingers crossed I have all the parts. I also have the original deepco clutch but I’m not sure how to check that it’s in working order as it’s the first one I’ve handled. Any advice would be greatly appreciated