Installing Electric Start on 6.5 Clone Harbor Frieght

you paid more for the starter then for the engine itself!?!?! i'd just stick with the pull start...
Hmmm 80.00 for the starter kit and 16.00 for the bolts ,, 96.00 total 99.00 for the engine ,, 195.00 for a grand total ,,, This is in a go kart where getting out each time to start it would be easier if it is electric start ,, :scooter:

I see there is a guy in canada selling these kits on eBay right now... but he wants 100 bucks and then 18 shipping!? Is this the same guy you got it for 80 from?

so that fits under the flywheel, thats kinda crazy, never knew they did that, then again I always had pull start. to me a electric starter is the pull start removed and a mikita cordless drill and a socket.

Hi
I'm new here.
I did a little research and found something on Ebay for those that don't yet have a motor there is one for about $200 complete.
Also Sterling has the starter

Hi
I'm new here.
I did a little research and found something on Ebay for those that don't yet have a motor there is one for about $200 complete.
Also Sterling has the starter
The some of the clones that are on ebay have the start feature but do not have the charging coil under the flywheel.

Thank you very much for this post and pictures. Blurry but I got the picture. I have a clone on a push trailer setup and it is a bitch to start some of the clones. These kits now sell for $130 with free shipping on ebay. I'll get it.

I ended up getting the kit on ebay. It doesn't come with the flywheel cover so you will have to notch away at the original so that the starter can fit.

I was missing all install screws but didn't want to pay or wait for honda so I got what what was available from Home Depot. I got 2 m6-1.0 x 30mm alan head bolts for the starter and 2 m6 - 1.0 x 30mm screws for the charging coil but they were too long. I cut off approx. 5mm of the screw so 25mm screws are perfect. For the 2 dowel pins needed for the starter, I purchased a 5/16" x 3/4" aluminum spacer. I mounted a drill bit (forgot the size) to a vise clamp and put the spacer in the drill so that all is inside the drill. I gently tighten the drill by hand and got the drill going at a slow rpm and drilled out the center. I then cut the spacer in half and my 2 pins were set. I got 2 bolts to mount the solenoid to the starter but forgot which ones. I took the starter and the bolt off of the ignition coil to match the threads for all the screws.

The colors of my wires were different plus I couldn't understand nor see the electrical wiring in the pictures so I downloaded the schematics from here and opened the box to make out which is which. On the manual's english page 19 you will see the wiring diagram "with oil alert and electric starter".

Last edited:
I ended up getting the kit on ebay. It doesn't come with the flywheel cover so you will have to notch away at the original so that the starter can fit.

I was missing all install screws but didn't want to pay or wait for honda so I got what what was available from Home Depot. I got 2 m6-1.0 x 30mm alan head bolts for the starter and 2 m6 - 1.0 x 30mm screws for the charging coil but they were too long. I cut off approx. 5mm of the screw so 25mm screws are perfect. For the 2 dowel pins needed for the starter, I purchased a 5/16" x 3/4" aluminum spacer. I mounted a drill bit (forgot the size) to a vise clamp and put the spacer in the drill so that all is inside the drill. I gently tighten the drill by hand and got the drill going at a slow rpm and drilled out the center. I then cut the spacer in half and my 2 pins were set. I got 2 bolts to mount the solenoid to the starter but forgot which ones. I took the starter and the bolt off of the ignition coil to match the threads for all the screws.

The colors of my wires were different plus I couldn't understand nor see the electrical wiring in the pictures so I downloaded the schematics from here and opened the box to make out which is which. On the manual's english page 19 you will see the wiring diagram "with oil alert and electric starter".
would you post some pics of your install??? Your always good with picture quality and detailed instructions

-Logan

found starter kit on ebay

the starter kit is from a company called Carrol Stream Motor Company. on ebay it was under Parts Man Replacement parts. it was 153.95 and that was with the coil. the phone number is 248 628 4638. they list that thy have it for all size motors. hope it works. thanks for the detailed write up.

I dont get on here and post much anymore , I see litle changes around here , someone always ready to bash you for really nothing ,, I am not going to explain the pics and the why they are blury ,, but they did come out that way ,, If you can use this info then great otherwise keep it to yourself ,, By the way it is a 400.00 camara ,, you idiot :thefinger:

Dang, Nice article but your pictures give me a headache, Should have spent the $100.00 on a camera. :)

LK
Geese, Lighten up guys, Didn't you notice the smiley at the end of the sentence? Everyone calm down, I said it was a nice article (it is) just that the pictures were bad. (you knew that)

Sorry if I offended anyone. :surrender:

LK

Geese, Lighten up guys, Didn't you notice the smiley at the end of the sentence? Everyone calm down, I said it was a nice article (it is) just that the pictures were bad. (you knew that)

Sorry if I offended anyone. :surrender:

LK
I didn't see the smiley until after i posted.

Shoe Thanks again for the help! HD :thumbsup:

Hey, I just got a 1971 ruppster. The engine starts but doesn't stay on for more than a few seconds. Its a two stroke jlo. I have no idea how to work on these things so I'll probably go get a new cheap engine.
Do you know where to get the kits now, I didn't see the guy on ebay anymore. Also, what exactly do the kits contain? How difficult (how many hours) did the whole process take? Thanx

Mark
meechees@gmail.com