San Diego Rupp "barn" Find

My buddy Max & I picked up a neat old looking Rupp today.
It looked very original to a particular year and model, but we don't easily recognize the unique traits that might differentiate...

Could anyone help identify the year and Model??

Thanks you guys:thumbsup:

the engine doesn't work/bad compression, but it looks like it could be original…
Forks and Bars are straight and move great (despite the head frame tweak, it all seems fine)...
shocks are stuck, but for some reason, i don't think they are too bad. (any Ideas?)
We were stoKed with the find, and will be happy with any added info.
Thanks

buckeye

Man that is close to my build off bike.
Didn't Continental have rear shocks?
That thing is cool just like it sits.
I am going totally guess. 1969?

Sorry Havasu Dave, When I said "barn", I was Joking. Barns are rare in San Diego, that "barn finds" are probably as common as Unicorns.
Haha
When I read of people's Barn finds on here, i get to wishing we had barns. (or basements… or even yards!)
This one was inexpensive ($100) and looked to be pretty complete. Its almost a "San Diego Barn find"

Thanks for the comments so far guys.
It looks like the motor might actually have a "Continental" sticker on the engine (?)

I have a 1968 Rupp Continental that has Bracing and support around the forks head. and the tubing butts up to the head ('68 also has a 1 piece engine plate and Peg placement behind the engine)
(see pic below)

This new (blue) find, appears to have the older design top tubing that passes on the outside of the steering head and has no bracing.
It is a little mangled and ugly there on this one, ,but, fortunately, it seems to work great and be set to a good fork angle (and forks are straight).
makes me wonder, 'How do you bend the front of the frame like this, and not mangle the rest of it?'

Anyway, seems like "Continental" is what it is, but is it an XL250 like Chipper suggested?
And what about the year? (its definitely fun to know the year you have:thumbsup:)

Thanks to the guys who commented already, and any more details are very welcome.

Heres a few more picture views of the Head area. (Might help with Year dating)

Sprocket has a Logo/name stamped into it. "Bendix", "Bondix", "Bondi" (?I can't quite make it out)
Does this help with the age?

Itype2slo,
That is it.
It came with that 2 hp briggs, and the "original" Tecumseh (in these pictures). Also a 2013 helmet thrown in for good measure.
The man was very friendly, happy for our interest, and glad to clear some space.

Sorry Havasu Dave, When I said "barn", I was Joking. Barns are rare in San Diego, that "barn finds" are probably as common as Unicorns.
LOL, I was making fun, and it sounds like you know why. I swear, everything is a damn barn, even if it left someone's workshop for disassembly, polishing and deep cleaning, it's a "survivor" or "barn find" or original, as long as someone left a tiny bit of rust......er......"patina" on it.

We have barns here in the desert, but the Californians done raped them all and got done up on reality TV shows. LOL.

Nice bike really.

capguncowboy

Itype2slo,
That is it.
It came with that 2 hp briggs, and the "original" Tecumseh (in these pictures). Also a 2013 helmet thrown in for good measure.
The man was very friendly, happy for our interest, and glad to clear some space.
If you bought that bike for $100, you did great. It looks like it's all there, including the clutch guard and bendix brake. That'd be a great candidate for restoration :thumbsup:

Rupp Continental Special 2 1/2 Lauson 1967 ish
Dough! Somehow I missed this cheesy1.

Based on my limited knowledge of Rupps (and the fact that info on details of 1964-1967 Rupp's line of Continental's is hazy)
This answer seems the closest , if not spot on.
If i may ask, (pick your brain a little)

What characteristics define (and differentiate) this era of Rupps for you?
How'd you come to this conclusion?

Thanks again Guys, I'm always blown away by the individual and greater group knowledge and enthusiasm

capguncowboy

The Rupp frames that connect to the front tube like yours are 1967 and earlier. in 68, they moved the foot pegs back, and attached the frame to the fork tube using gussets, went to a one-piece engine plate, and began using coil over suspension (external springs). In 1969, they went to a split (2 piece) engine plate. In 1970, they started using the new slanted engine plates.

There are a slew of details beyond that, but that will at least help you ID what year the bike is, making the rest of the search a little easier.

Home from work...grabbed a pic of the brochure.

Wow, That Look just like it CHEESY1 !

-holes in triple tree with "Lighting kit option"
-bentix, peg placement, twin engine plate construction, chain guard…

its all the same, on this one, even the seat might be original (?)

How'd you settle on 1967 ?

Thanks for the useful info CapGunCowboy !

Now, one last question.

What's a good way to break free those stuck fork lowers?
(i don't want to go doing something stupid… again !)