New electric minibikes

High tech bikes. They are big. 24 amps and 48 volts, not unlike the bikes our friend I74 is modifying. As an FYI, I'm building a micro mini with 56 AH and 24 volts. Breadboard shows it to be a torquey thing, numbers say 20 MPH, but it is small. 12-hour full recharge time. Not nearly as high tech as what you are posting here.

I just picked up some parts to do an electric build
1800watt 48v brushless motor and controls
1000watt 36v conv motor and controls

I am not sure what frame I will use , but considering a honda ct70 for the size and I have a few spares or I may bend up my own frame

Have been watching a lot of YouTube videos and learning as I go

Just getting geared up to start spotwelding my own battery packs
Use 18650 lith ion cells

We just got our first snow fall , so the building season is upon us

Last edited:

Li'l Popeye

I just picked up some parts to do an electric build
1800watt 48v brushless motor and controls
1000watt 36v conv motor and controls

I am not sure what frame I will use , but considering a honda ct70 for the size and I have a few spares or I may bend up my own frame

Have been watching a lot of YouTube videos and learning as I go

Just getting geared up to start spotwelding my own battery packs
Use 18650 lith ion cells

We just got our first snow fall , so the building season is upon us
Here's an idea if you want to convert into electric...:eek:

I have sold my electric scooter and bought a second hand Honda ST50 clone/replica. It's called Skyteam and it is my next project... Road legal. And it rides as cheap as electric.

I have already watched that video
Have considered doing it to a kh100 2stroke
But will remove the crankshaft and turn a straight shaft on my lathe

I74

The Cox bikes are pretty cool, pretty spendy also …..
Probably around the same power as the last one I built.
That Bosch hub motor looks like good stuff, ''as with all Bosch''.:cool:

Edit:
I did just see that it's 1200w.
The one I just built,, is 48v./ 1800w.

For those who didn't know,,

''With a 48v. motor'',, you have to use a controller that will handle 48+v, & ''must'' use a 48v throttle.
Also,, if the motor is rated at say 1800w,, you have to use a controller that will ''at least'' handle that current, or you will probably ''smoke'' the controller.

Some controllers will do 36 ''or'' 48v. though,, like the 36v. BLDC conversion I did on the Wife's bike.

Using a 36/48v. controller on a 36v set up is a ''no brainer'',, because it is usually 12 fet, & is built pretty 'stout' to handle the extra voltage & current of a 48v set up,, if you want.
Our 36/48v controller doesn't even get warm, with the 36v. 1000w BLDC set up,, the controller is pretty much over kill.;)

Last edited:

I74

Here's an idea if you want to convert into electric...:eek:

I have sold my electric scooter and bought a second hand Honda ST50 clone/replica. It's called Skyteam and it is my next project... Road legal. And it rides as cheap as electric.
That is ''very'' interesting. ;)

I74

Just found this offering from Gokartusa, for around 850.

It's an ''oversize'' 48v./1000w pocket bike, & will handle up to a 250lb. rider.
Batteries are 4 - 12v/12ah lead acid ones, that are wired in series,, giving 48+v, & 12ah capacity.

Full suspension & juice brakes.:p

Not sure if it's brushless though.....

If you ''at least'' got rid of the 4 ''boat anchor'' lead acid batteries & installed 2 - 48v Lithium 13s /3p packs in parallel,,
that in itself would remove at least 2/3 of the battery weight,, & ''around'' double the ah capacity.
Figure it would knock out well over 15lbs. of weight, lower the center of gravity,, & pretty much double the run time.;)
If the batteries were in a steel case like the stock MM E-1000 ones, removing that case also,, would probably knock out a few more lbs.
MTEPSuperbike_White_2.jpg
MTEPSuperbike_White_7.jpg

Last edited:

I74

Just sent Sakata @Coopopmoto an e - mail, to see if they had any US vendors lined up yet.
Think these COX offering's are something that I, & a couple of Buddies,, ''might'' be interested in investing in.;)

Li'l Popeye

Just sent Sakata @Coopopmoto an e - mail, to see if they had any US vendors lined up yet.
Think these COX offering's are something that I, & a couple of Buddies,, ''might'' be interested in investing in.;)
Well, don't forget about me with pointing you out in the right direction...;-)

I74

I'd definitely give you & everyone else on here a really good deal.
At this point I haven't had a reply from them though....
It's probably more than likely going to turn out to be just a pipe dream....
It would be a ''no brainer'' though for them, to get a vendor/service center here in the states,, especially if they dropped the prices ''a lot'' on bulk.
Those things would be an absolute hit,, if the prices were reasonable.
;)

I'd definitely give you & everyone else on here a really good deal.
At this point I haven't had a reply from them though....
It's probably more than likely going to turn out to be just a pipe dream....
It would be a ''no brainer'' though for them, to get a vendor/service center here in the states,, especially if they dropped the prices ''a lot'' on bulk.
Those things would be an absolute hit,, if the prices were reasonable.
;)
a few points of information when dealing with china

you must be prepared to loose any and all money you send to china for prepayment. china does
not respect us business law giving you zero recourse, notice 99% of the chinese suppliers do not
extend credit to small purchasers?

it is a very good idea to have your representative on the ground in the chinese factory when your
production run is active for QC reasons, otherwise they will substitute whatever they have
on hand for the parts going on your products.

be prepared to provide ALL warranty labor and parts, order warranty parts when you place your
bike order, they with most likely not be able get parts at a later date.

hire your own freight forwarding company, shipping will be a significant part of your order cost
and a week delay in customs will cost you thousands in storage fees.

chinese lithium batteries are garbage, they grow dendrites after a few fast charges and a couple
hundred charge discharge cycles. tadiran makes decent lithium cells.

these guys https://www.goldenmotor.com/ were an honest supplier back when i was involved
in the bldc business, they made several 20 to 80kW motors for me, however i cant speak for then
now,

be careful with china, they will have your pants off before you realized your zipper is down!

hope this helps.

phil

I74

Thanks for taking the time to disclose all that info Phil.
Looks like you have had some dealings that might still be making you walk funny.:oops:
Guess it could be feasible to say, that this company might not have US vendors yet,, because of stipulations ect.. like you disclosed in your post.

Last edited:
@Phil1958 Do you include the Panasonic batteries in that comment about Chinese batteries? I see Panasonic lithium batteries are now (2018) MFGRd in Dalian. I read that dendrite growth and subsequent shorting/fires are endemic to Lithium batteries in general. Thanks for your comment on the subject. Nice to see SME commentary like that.