Baja MB165 questions

Well im new to these forums, and I just got me a new Baja MB165, and I have a few things to ask you guys. I was wondering what I could do to the bike to get it to go faster, I read about people saying tweaking the governor on the bike. But I don't want to mess with it, and cause problem with the motor not too far down the road.

So is there any little tweaks I can do to the bike to get it to go alittle faster? Now comes the question about spending money to make it go faster. What should I be looking at to buy for this bike? I would like to get the bike running at 35mph or so. So any help and info from you guys is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

richs

hey newbie ha welcome to the site now is a bad time with commit going out of buisness and all but wait awile and get a torque averter that will make the most without messing with the motor or you could do a search on that bike in this forum and there are alot of treads to get your geers rolling:drinkup: good luck and have fun

Yeah i was just reading about them going out of business. Hopefully someone will pick up where they left off, and start making some TAV's for these mini bikes. Im not one who wants mine going 50 or anythng, I just wanna add alittle more speed to it, because the stock speed is ok, but i want it alittle faster.

Yeah it says it goes between 15-20 stock, seems about right. I did back the throttle stop screw out some, was gunna complete removed the throttle stop screw with the spring on it, since there is the metal edge to stop it anyways but haven't yet.

Drill Warrior muffler?

I've got a little DB30 that was of course weak as piss when we first got it. Followed all the tweeking advise found here on this website which greatly improved the bike which included drilling the muffler. The best improvement was the jackshaft kit from ProMod. :thumbsup:

I now also own 2 Baja Warriors as well as the DB30 (Daughters ride the Dirt Bug and the 2.8 hp motor is fine for them). The DB30 with the jackshaft kit now has more top end speed than the 2 Warriors. :eek: Yeah, I'd like to have a TAV on my Warrior (the other is my wife's) but damn they're hard to find now or just too expensive.

Has any Heat/Warrior owners tried drilling the muffler on the 6.5 motor, and if so does it make that much difference? And yes, I backed out the throttle stop screw on the Warrior(s) just like I did on the DB30.

Jimmy S.

removing the govener will be the easiest and cheapest way to pick up power,i read that you did not want to do that but with 6.5 clones constantly going on sale for $99 what do you have to loose...

richs

I havent done any mods on mine I use it as a rider/loaner to keep people off the oldschool minis the way parts are getting but when they come over we still can go riding

removing the govener will be the easiest and cheapest way to pick up power
i'm sure you know this, but you don't pick up any more power by removing the governor. all it does is rev higher which equals more speed.

also, drilling the muffler on a 5.5/6.5 won't do much since it's a totally different design.

i'm sure you know this, but you don't pick up any more power by removing the governor. all it does is rev higher which equals more speed.

also, drilling the muffler on a 5.5/6.5 won't do much since it's a totally different design.
That is the main reason I don't plan to mess with the governor, I don't want to rev the motor higher, and cause the motor issues, and it not last awhile.

Won't help the top speed any but it will help acceleration to install an intake/header and drill the jet to .036. I have 2 Bajas and the modded one smokes past the stocker with just these mods. They both have the same top speed but the acceleration was noticeable.

Hollowing out the muffler gets you nothing. In fact you will lose torque. No matter what you are doing in the future you will have to get an intake/header some time.

I was thinking the other day. The 2.8s are flatheads, right? Would shaving the head be a good way to get more power out of this motor? Seems like the easiest way and it also seems like that would give it that umph that its missing.

my bad,,,should have said more top end not more power ,but while we are talking about speed and power do you plan on making it out to any of the races in hanford...this year

Do you guys think another company will pick up on making TAV's for these bikes? Because I probably plan to put one on my bike in a few months, because i want to make my bike faster.

Ok well today I competely removed the trottle stop screw with the spring, you can tell it goes faster. Tomorrow I'm gunna use the gps to see exactly how fast its going.
Anyways, now im looking for some minor tweaks to make it maybe even alittle faster, but i don't want to do anything thats unsafe. So any ideals on what else i could do to maybe get a few more mphs outta it? I don't mind spending alittle cash on it atm, But not trying to spend alot. Thanks for all the help so far guys.

air filter, header, jet. These are just basic mods to get your engine up to a decent setup. They are not NEEDED but they help. You could change the sprocket size for either acceleration or top speed. The bigger the rear sprocket, the more top speed you'll have. Also, the smaller sprocket on the engine, the more top speed. If you switch those two around youll get acceleration but not as much speed. So a small rear sprocket will give you quicker acceleration.
Bigger sprocket = more teeth
Smaller sprocket = less teeth(duh)
I hope this helps you.

Well im looking for more top end speed, Because imo these bikes have a good amount of take off speed. As for air filter, header, and jet, what would you recommend to use? I have between $50-$100 I can spend atm on the bike, I know doesn't sound like alot, but I just bought the bike so there went alot of the money lol.

edwin

air filter, header, jet. These are just basic mods to get your engine up to a decent setup. They are not NEEDED but they help. You could change the sprocket size for either acceleration or top speed. The bigger the rear sprocket, the more top speed you'll have. Also, the smaller sprocket on the engine, the more top speed. If you switch those two around youll get acceleration but not as much speed. So a small rear sprocket will give you quicker acceleration.
Bigger sprocket = more teeth
Smaller sprocket = less teeth(duh)
I hope this helps you.
to: 845mx5 i dont think your correct, the bigger the sprocket is on the rear wheel will give you more torque, faster out of the hole. the smaller obvioulsy will give you a faster over all top speed. and its a complete opposite on the engine sprocket. bigger on engine = top speed and smaller = acceleration.
do you agree ?

to: 845mx5 i dont think your correct, the bigger the sprocket is on the rear wheel will give you more torque, faster out of the hole. the smaller obvioulsy will give you a faster over all top speed. and its a complete opposite on the engine sprocket. bigger on engine = top speed and smaller = acceleration.
do you agree ?
Yes Edwin, you are correct.... That is how it works :blink: