Strocker motor

vwfan79

Im building my first stroker motor and was curious if any of you engine guys had any tips/advice you are willing to share. This season's drag motor is gonna be a stroker on methanol, a GX160 stroker that is. The goal is to build a GX160 that will run 9s and hit 70mph in the 1/8.
Last year I played with the tav all season and had a blast launching like a rocket but this year is the need for speed. I'll be running a disc clutch which will help out with this and my head was redone. I hit 58mph last year and now it would have been higher with a clutch, I tried one for a minute and it pulled like crazy.
NRracing has a kit that comes with rod, crank, piston, wrist pin and clips, advertised to make it a 180cc motor. Let me know if you have any tips/advice.

This is what I would don, buy a Honda GX 200 . They both cost the same and you get 196 cc , much better than 180 . I have a built 160 and wish it was a 200 but it's not and never will be . You are just wasting your time with the 160 . As much as I like Hondas you can't really beat a predator 212 cc , that 32 cc bigger than a stroked 160 . With the same parts you will never out run a bigger motor , no replacement for displacement .

vwfan79

I understand that, and the point is to do this with a gx160. I've done the 6.5hp motor and that's what everyone is doing, I don't want to be everyone else. As a cruiser a gx200 is the way to go, I'll never put money into another predator it not worth it. Quality is poor and inconsistent, the extra cc is not worth it. On the track you would be surprised how well the 160 does, I'm not trying to be the fastest just want to give people a run for there money with my 5 horse. It's all about the fun and it's a good conversation piece.

I'll never put money into another predator it not worth it. Quality is poor and inconsistent, the extra cc is not worth it.
LOL! Amen. I had the same idea and was shot down for the same reasons. Looking forward to seeing you accomplish this.

Your comments reminded me of this quote:

why spend all the money for a stroker kit when you could spend 100 at harbor freight and get a new clone with 212 cc. ?

I dig the "being different attitude, but no way would I do it when if you invest the money into building the bigger motor, you have created something the little 160 will never touch with normal mods.
that being said, here is what I would do if your bent on smoking their asses with the smaller motor.
Get a big mikuni carb, get a ford smog pump and boost that little motor, leave it stock and cheap and you will be amazed at what that motor will do with boost and some fuel. I have a vid of one we did if you want to see, we called it the "Mangler". I extended the crank 3/4" and used a pulley outboard of the clutch.

Last edited:
Get a big mikuni carb, get a ford smog pump and boost that little motor, leave it stock and cheap and you will be amazed at what that motor will do with boost and some fuel. I have a vid of one we did if you want to see, we called it the "Mangler". I extended the crank 3/4" and used a pulley outboard of the clutch.
Tex, please post the vid. Sounds neat. An older gentlemen I know told me that he'd used compressed air to spin turbos as well. (Drag racing)

Could you install a gx200 crank or the 212 crank and stroke it
I'm almost sure that the detentions are the same but the stroke is longer

Sent from my iPhone using Mores code

vwfan79

OK, here's the deal you guys are not going to talk me out of doing this, I fully understand there is no replacement for displacement. I'm building a 6.5hp at the same time for a high speed cruiser, using a BSP motor. Once again a predator is junk in my opinion and not worth spending the money or time to build one up.
Now I like the sound of boosting it but I would boost and stroke it, now that would be cool. This is not about beating anybody but about getting this motor to do what I want on the track, in my mind this is a very doable goal. I just want to prove to myself that I can do this, this is the kind of stuff that excites me.

vwfan79

Using a gx200 crank is possible but is more expensive and finding the right combination of parts is difficult. This kit is all put together and the parts all work together properly.

OK, here's the deal you guys are not going to talk me out of doing this.
...only one dude tried to talk you out of it. The rest of us are on board.

What kit are you referring to?

The reason I would like to know how this goes, is because I have a Chinese crap brand new 5.5 on a shelf that I'd consider upgrading for the same reason....just because.

Last edited:
Stroke vs Stroke vs RPM

My thought has always been with the smaller motor, turn more RPM, personally i wouldn't add stroke, id take advantage of the lower piston speed for durability and better cylinder filling capability. you have the same bore so your equal on pressure over area and that's good, if your bore was smaller you'd have a real struggle.
If you think about it the guy who wins is the one who moved more air, TX mentioned it with his turbo idea. because your naturally aspirated, RPM is your best friend. Id re-gear an buzz the thing to the bitter limit, if you can stay with your competition leaving the line than it's your race on the top end. Do what it takes to turn 10K !

Go to bobs 4cycle and search the Honda motor section for stroking a 160 and there's thread on putting a GX200 crank in a 160 . I think it gives you more cc than the 180 the other kit does , it tells you everything you need for the swap . They say it makes a quicker reving motor than a normal 200 . I have thought about doing this with my 160 but my next personal build will be a Honda GX 200 with a three inch piston and stroker crank , AKA big F'en motor .

fistfullabar

Go to bobs 4cycle and search the Honda motor section for stroking a 160 and there's thread on putting a GX200 crank in a 160 . I think it gives you more cc than the 180 the other kit does , it tells you everything you need for the swap . They say it makes a quicker reving motor than a normal 200 . I have thought about doing this with my 160 but my next personal build will be a Honda GX 200 with a three inch piston and stroker crank , AKA big F'en motor .
I wanna see you bust out a all billet build on the GX200. Go nuts!! Billet side cover any thing billet slap it in there cranks, rod, cam, intake and whatever else that is made for honda:innocent:

vwfan79

I think even with the stroker I can turn a lot of rpm, these little motors love rpm. I'll be adding a billet side cover and a 24mm flat slide carb and exchanging my pvl flywheel for an arc one. I already have a .350 lift cam in it and with the methanol I should be able to twist in the 9000 rpm range easy. I don't think I want to push it 10,000 but mid 9s would be good. It's only about 800 more then I'm spinning in the 8th now with the tav. I'll have to look on bobs and read through the thread. Here is the kit I'm currently looking at Engine Kit, 180cc, GX160 + .160", Stroker Kit.

do what you want bud. that's what this hobby is about. being creative and showing what your mind can do. if I was trying to when races I would just shove my gsxr 750 motor in something and go to the track. lol I like the one off builds and I'm allways thinking of different ways to build stuff. good luck on your build it will be a nasty 5.

rmm727

Nothing wrong with your PVL flywheel. The manufacturer spun tested them to 15-17k rpm. Unless you want the superlight flywheel save your money for go fast parts.

vwfan79

The only reason I was gonna switch was for the lighter weight, I know it's not much but.
So I just read through the thread on Bob's and it makes a 160 into a 196. The author says it revs up really fast and he was hitting 8800 rpm no problem with a small valve head. I'm gonna look up the parts and go from there, here is the parts list GX200/clone crank arc 6234 short rod wiseco 1982/11132p2 piston and a .490 wrist pin. There is some clearancing to do in the block and on the piston skirt but it's not bad.