Help Starting HS40

capguncowboy

Thanks I will give that a try.

Anything else I can do to "tune" up the engine while I'm waiting for the carb kit?

I notice that I do have too much slack on the pull cord that turns the flywheel. Is that a problem? Can I just cut some off?
You can remove the recoil and wind it up a little more. To do this, pull the rope out from the inside of the housing, then wind the recoil a couple of times while spinning the end of the rope with it. Then let it wind itself back up and it should be tight. I had to do this on my Rupp engine just recently it seemed like the easiest way to do it

capguncowboy

It wouldn't hurt to pick one up. Even if it didn't have one originally, it'll help keep debris and tank sediment out of your freshly rebuilt carburetor

markus

Probably save yourself some grief and order part numbers 33302 29916 650548 37735 31426 730136a, its all the missing or buggered up linkages and parts for the throttle assy.

capguncowboy

Probably save yourself some grief and order part numbers 33302 29916 650548 37735 31426 730136a, its all the missing or buggered up linkages and parts for the throttle assy.
:thumbsup:

I'm with Markus on this one. Setting up your throttle linkage correctly will help you avoid engine failure when it exceeds it's RPM capability.

Thanks a lot for giving me the exact part numbers! I just submitted the order.

The screeching I mentioned is definitely coming from the recoil. I'm not sure if the spring is broken, or if it needs to be cleaned?

How do I get the cover off to expose the spring?

toPE3BV.jpg

Also the "play" in the flywheel ended up being loose screws on the "back plate" of the shroud that is behind the flywheel. There are 2 screws/bolts that are out far enough that they touch the flywheel.

markus

cut or untie the handle off the rore and relive the spring pressure, pull the centering pin out of the phillips head bolt so you can get your screwdriver on it and take out the bolt that holds it all together.

That centering pin does is not needed, that recoil probalby came off an H series engine so dont worry about getting it back in.

The spring seems fine.

I can't figure out how to tighten the rope though.. any suggestions? I see how you would tighten the spring, but have no clue how you would put it back together while holding the spring tighter.

I also noticed some kind of tiny spring that *may* have fallen out of the recoil, but I'm not sure.

Here's a pic:

MpJjAsi.jpg

capguncowboy

I recently replaced the rope on one of these and here's the easiest way to do it. I only wanted about 36" of pull on mine. I laced it up with about 50" and put it all back together. Then I pulled out the first 14" and trimmed it off. Works great now.

There is another way of winding it up without having to put new rope on it. With the recoil assembly still together, pull a little bit of slack of rope out of the coil from the inside of the housing. Then wind the coil up a little tighter while forcing the rope around with it (you'll have to force the rope in the small groove between the housing and the edge of the coil). Then after you've wound it up a couple of full turns, force the rope back to the starting position and let the coil wind the slack back up. There was a youtube video that made this explanation make sense. I'll see if I can dig it up for you.

This might help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHdHsq_uGfQ&list=PL38ECDC8F0C9D2D47

Last edited:
I tried to tighten the rope again and failed. After watching the video, it does make more sense. I will try again when I have time. Thanks!

Major Issue:

If the recoil screw is too tight, it doesn't recoil the rope. Now, when I pull on it while installed, the screw eventually tightens to where the rope will not recoil at all. Any ideas?

Ahhh yes, thank you!!

Also.. looks like I'm leaking gas from the carb, possibly from the intake. Was I supposed to "set" the float? Hmmm

Ahhh yes, thank you!!

Also.. looks like I'm leaking gas from the carb, possibly from the intake. Was I supposed to "set" the float? Hmmm
Yes, and bounce the needle up and down a few times, because Tec carbs are notorious for having finicky needle valves, especially after sitting.

About your pull starter- That tiny torsion spring that fell out is supposed to provide tension to the little metal pawl that fits in that plastic slot. The center screw is supposed to have a tiny coil spring that retains the tension on it. Sorry Eric, no locktite on that. :)

A lot of people here would be glad to help you. I'll volunteer to rebuild, derust and prime it including replacing any missing parts, for the price of shipping and any parts. (cheap) But you might find someone nearby willing to lend a hand. When I rewind those, I have a couple of plastic clamps handy that allows me to tie the figure 8 knot within the pullstart handle.