MiniBike of the month...

there will not be a category so to speak for the first month... may not be at all, depending on how many entries and which bikes end up being selected... could be a good mix, etc... but im hoping this will grow and run smooth, and there will be enough entries eventually to use the categories. am preparing ahead for this, so that it can be implemented smoothly.

so far I have three tentative categories and definitions, please help to provide more ideas, or offer constructive info on the current suggestions and definitions:

Vintage Minibike- a minibike retaining its original unmodified frame and having been manufactured before 1980. Unmodified does not include restoration related repairs. Any make/model, but the engine and parts must be "period correct". A period correct engine/part, for purposes of this forum, is an engine/part that was available during that time period (pre-1980). Parts used to restore or replace original parts, will qualify, if that style of part was available during that time period.

Vintage Restomod:
a minibike retaining its original unmodified frame and having been manufactured before 1980. Unmodified does not include restoration related repairs. Any make/model and having any parts used, as long as the frame did not have to be altered to use those parts. Was not restored or built back to its original condition.

Survivor- A vintage (pre 1980) mini bike that is in its original condition, having all of its original parts, as installed from the factory (or as it came in its original kit). No modification or restoration allowed to have occurred on the bike, for purposes of this category. Or having enough of its original parts, as to still remain in a somewhat complete and ride-able condition, without the need for repair or restoration.

Modern Mini- A mini bike retaining its original frame and having been manufactured after 1980. No stretched frames. No other restriction on parts used or modifications.

Drag Bike-Custom Frame/Altered Frame- A mini bike of any era, which has been made, modified or altered for the purposes of making it into a drag race style mini bike. To be raced, used, or displayed as a mini bike used for street or dirt drag races. These bikes typically have a stretched frame or a longer wheel base. Please do not enter into this category, if your bike was not intended to be used or represented, as a drag racing mini bike.

Custom frame/Altered Frame- A mini bike of any era, which has been made, modified or altered for any purpose other than a drag race style mini bike. Please do not enter into this category, if your bike was intended to be used for, or represented as, a drag racing mini bike.

Open/Unrestricted-Any Make/Model or custom

The above mentioned are just as good examples/definitions as i could think of at this moment... they would represent at least 7 of the months... Whichever categories would have the most entries, would be the ones given more than one month... or the remaining months would be OPEN/unrestricted... I would be changing, adding to, or taking away any of this, as needed to allow the forum section to run as smoothly and fairly as possible.

This bike would be considered a "Survivor" and yes it is mine and I bought it from minibikin's dad Al :thumbsup:
was tying during you post... def a good example of one... I did understand the spirit behind a survivor and what one would look like. was more wanting the suggestion to be made with an articulate definition so if used, there is a guideline to it... i came up with some definitions... hopefully to the majority, they all match the category suggested... nice bike

I like the criteria for the categories except for the "Vintage Restomod" I for one have a vintage bike that was hacked before I got it and restomod it from there :thumbsup: I was unable to do and thing close to an OEM frame with what I had :doah: 72 Speedway Sabre, before and after

I like the criteria for the categories except for the "Vintage Restomod" I for one have a vintage bike that was hacked before I got it and restomod it from there :thumbsup: I was unable to do and thing close to an OEM frame with what I had :doah: 72 Speedway Sabre, before and after
still would be able to enter as a restomod, as the "repair" was made in an attempt to repair the frame(thus restoration related repair would apply)... it doesnt looking stretched etc... the spirit of the definition will be used more so, than to the letter... the intent is to allow those guys that do not restore their vintage bike back to the way it was from the factory, but instead are like me and would take 69 Camaro and put a twin turbo LS engine in it... would prob piss some off, but i like the old look and the new power...

If you're still looking for more categories how about in between the ones above you do a brand month. Like taco, bonanza, lil Indian. Open to any mods or restoration.
I actually was already trying to separate the brands out... but stopped because would have to do that in such a way as to include the majority of the brands... for the remaining months.... then the last month would have to be an other and exclude all the bikes that have their own month... which bikes are most commonly owned and entered... those categories can be hashed out if needed after the first year.. its easier to do this, after some actual data has been collected (as far as entries)... in my opinion... but if you have a suggestion on how to break that up... shoot it...

and just for an update... i am not intentionally waiting to get started with this... just waiting for the restrictions on my ability to post threads in the MBOTM category to be lifted and will simply move forward and hash it all out as it moves along... in the mean time, just continuing to gather data and ideas, to be proactive...

Gatecrasher

One thing to consider is having separate categories for domestic and import minis (pre 1980 and post 1980) or something to that effect.

There also may be a need for establishing some criteria as to what constitutes a minibike vs a minicycle such as wheel size, spokes, etc.

One thing to consider is having separate categories for domestic and import minis (pre 1980 and post 1980) or something to that effect.

There also may be a need for establishing some criteria as to what constitutes a minibike vs a minicycle such as wheel size, spokes, etc.
once I get one started and see which types of bikes are submitting entries, then it will be much easier to narrow down or add categories...

There are a large amount of people with some very nice mini bikes and that are passionate about this hobby... Please consider making an entry into the MOTM thread. While it is not a competition, the threads will be full of very nice bikes, that are currently owned by our members... There are over 2000 views on this thread, don't be a lurker, get your entry in...

please take the time to read through the stickies though, pretty simple rules, thus far... feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns... or post them in the thread created for complaints and suggestions, etc...

thanks,
Gerald- LSC

Additional information and brief history added to Novembers Mini Bike of the Month selection.
http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/m...e-month-taco-bills-bonanza-chopper-trike.html

I am going to be taking the time, to interview the owner of the bike selected, each month and trying to provide a little background/history on the bike (or any other interesting information of the bike), in the thread. I am doing this to make it as interesting and as nicely structure as I can.

Get in there and enter your bike for Decembers selection process... Please continue to be patient as this progresses... hopefully more people will see that the section is open again and will participate... its nice to see some of the current completed bikes owned by different members... will be a specific category for January...

we will be working on the calendar idea, along with getting something up on the main page... be patient with that also...

you may be seeing a couple of my projects in a magazine or two sometime in the future, if i can finish them... if so, i will be shedding some light on this site and the fact that there are tons of beautiful bikes and people passionate about this hobby. that passion often carries over or from other performance or restoration related hobbies... I know hotrod mag featured mini bikes in the past... should be something consistently done (in my opinion)...

Gerald-LSC