Custom intake, will it need additional bracing?

Hey guys, I have a predator 212 on a crf80f. I'm building a inverted, forward facing intake for a vm22 out of .030 wall 1" round stainless.

The plan is to have it come up and forwards to mount the carb just above the pull start/flywheel cover.

I was wondering if I should add an extra brace from the fuel tank mount to the carb mounting flange to help prevent the intake from cracking because it's rather thin tubing. Thoughts?

Also, do you think I will have any trouble getting fuel to the carb without a fuel pump? The feed line to the carb will be about 1/4 inch below the bottom of the fuel tank.

Here's a pic of the bike for your troubles. IMG_20220520_231204450.jpg

If the float bowl is higher than the tank bottom, yes, you will probably have issues. I question why you would want such an... elaborate intake tube. Long intake runners do not, as a norm, increase the units efficiency. Why not a short, straight runner?

The photo you provided does not help us in picturing your situation. You need to provide some good (close up) photos of the relative carb, fuel line, and tank heights configuration in your set up. If you have not completed it yet (suspected) even a good "mock up" would be helpful.
Michael

I74

I mainly want to increase my leg space, with the pegs where they are now my leg is right by the two carb studs.
Put pegs on it that extend out more, & or,, you can always make some kind of plastic ect. guard/ shield,, to keep your leg away from the studs.

My 2 cents.

I

I74

I agree. Extending the pegs would be the cheaper, simpler answer. Or, even move them forward. Some of the clamp on style pegs might work with that frame.
Think you would be opening a potential ''can of worms'' messing around with trying to do an intake ect. like you posted.

You should still be able to ''stand up on the pegs'' just fine, with just putting on extended ones. ;)

I

So I got the intake built and the carb mounted up, it seems pretty sturdy without any extra bracing. I have a Chinese mikuni on it with a 125 main jet and the pilot jet that it came with. Engine is stock other than the exhaust. It starts up and dies, would this be due to the pilot jet being the incorrect size? It smells pretty fuely. IMG_20220525_220808660_HDR.jpg