Help restoring a Bonanza Chopper

Hello all, I'd say I'm back.... but I never really left.
I just haven't posted anything I've been doing, as maybe it wasn't notable, but I'll update some of that in this post.
I think you all will enjoy this thread, and I will need some of your expertise to do this bike justice so thanks in advance.

Most recently and most notable is that I acquired a Bonanza Chopper locally. Mini bikes that are still out there, are hiding and often not listed... and the reason for this story. I had listed a wood stove for sale and a gentleman in his later 50's came to purchase it. I typically keep my garage closed to strangers. When he arrived he immediately noticed a Trans am beside my garage that I had purchased for a friend out of state. He told me he had a GTO, and that he had a large shop restored cars. I opened the garage to show him my cars and he saw the mini bikes and engines. He told me he had "a mini bike chopper". Is it a vintage chopper? I asked, he said yes that he had purchased an older C10 last year and the chopper was in the garage behind it. He inquired about it and the woman had said it was hers from when she was a child and decided that he could just have it. This bike is now mine after some dealing because of two other "by chance" purchase of other for sale items. It was not advertised. Many of the bikes we see are found this way so stay busy my friends.

Attachments

I have already sourced some of the original and hard to find parts through the generosity of friends who are very knowledgeable in the hobby.
The tires were removed prior to shipping.

1-What exactly were the original tires (sizes shown in the ad)
2- What would be the best modern equivalent if I want to ride it?

Attachments

Last edited:
I am interested in a kick stand, it appears the original basic choppers didn't have them?
3- I do see kickstands on these bikes, did they come as an option? If not what are folks using?

I found reproduction upper forks on ebay.
4- Does anyone know did the front lower forks have a shock/spring inside (doesn't appear so)
or were they simply bolt together and had two or three settings to select from?
these would "work" but the axle mount is different https://www.ebay.com/itm/155548388367
5- Are these available? (If not spring loaded they don't appear to difficult to replicate)

Attachments

Last edited:
Yes, his work looks great Thanks.
I already purchased the Hent upper forks from ebay and am just waiting for them to arrive.
I didn't know the lowers were available until I started posting this morning, I found them (and updated my post)
I am hoping that a picture I have seen is his work and he is making the sissy bars as well, the work looks outstanding

Here's some info I found in completed ebay auctions on kickstands that may help the next member...

“New old stock Atwood Butler kickstand sized correctly for Bonanza and angled mount bracket. Both are matched replicated from original parts. These were used on all BC models, Scout (chopper as well as MB models with 6" wheels) as well as the MX bikes normally with 6" wheels, It was the only kickstand that Bonanza ever sold. the angled bracket is made to reposition the stand higher or lower depending on the bike/tire size it came with. Original part numbers were 2051 (kickstand) and 2051-1 (bracket) during Bonanza ownership and 5870 (kickstand) and 5870-02 when they became a subsidiary of Bell Electronics in 1971” Read Less Brand Bonanza Manufacturer Part Number Minibike Item description from the seller New old stock Atwood Butler kickstand sized correctly for Bonanza and angled mount bracket. Both are matched replicated from original parts. These were used on all BC models, Scout (chopper as well as MB models with 6" wheels) as well as the MX bikes normally with 6" wheels, It was the only kickstand that Bonanza ever sold. the angled bracket is made to reposition the stand higher or lower depending on the bike/tire size it came with. Original part numbers were 2051 (kickstand) and 2051-1 (bracket) during Bonanza ownership and 5870 (kickstand) and 5870-02 when they became a subsidiary of Bell Electronics in 1971"

Attachments

I believe @markus sells bonanza kickstands from time to time and i believe he posted how he made them for the chopper….but my memory is getting as old as I am….

markus

Here's some info I found in completed ebay auctions on kickstands that may help the next member...

“New old stock Atwood Butler kickstand sized correctly for Bonanza and angled mount bracket. Both are matched replicated from original parts. These were used on all BC models, Scout (chopper as well as MB models with 6" wheels) as well as the MX bikes normally with 6" wheels, It was the only kickstand that Bonanza ever sold. the angled bracket is made to reposition the stand higher or lower depending on the bike/tire size it came with. Original part numbers were 2051 (kickstand) and 2051-1 (bracket) during Bonanza ownership and 5870 (kickstand) and 5870-02 when they became a subsidiary of Bell Electronics in 1971” Read Less Brand Bonanza Manufacturer Part Number Minibike Item description from the seller New old stock Atwood Butler kickstand sized correctly for Bonanza and angled mount bracket. Both are matched replicated from original parts. These were used on all BC models, Scout (chopper as well as MB models with 6" wheels) as well as the MX bikes normally with 6" wheels, It was the only kickstand that Bonanza ever sold. the angled bracket is made to reposition the stand higher or lower depending on the bike/tire size it came with. Original part numbers were 2051 (kickstand) and 2051-1 (bracket) during Bonanza ownership and 5870 (kickstand) and 5870-02 when they became a subsidiary of Bell Electronics in 1971"
I'll probably make another batch with New parts in a couple of months after some engine builds slow down a little and I can get out the patterns and and press dies for the plates.

For now I'll just say updates are coming, I am very happy (stay tuned though it's about to get real, really fast)

Attachments

Last edited:
With the remnants of brake cable evidence on the right hand side, and the extra 4 holes drilled in the engine plate while knowing that any Briggs or Tecumseh 3-5hp engine should have aligned in the factory slots was this a CR500? And would they have done a better job getting the holes drilled squarely?

Attachments