1970 Speedway Shark

Hi everyone, new to the forum. I bought his 1970 Speedway Shark last fall. I didn't know much about it when I bought at it other than I thought it was cool and had a great look. After some research online I'm excited to start restoring it. I have a some initial questions. I'm looking for the disc brake pucks or what can be used for alternatives. I'm trying to figure out what the rear brake switch set up was or how it wired in from the LHS brake lever. What is a typical compression for the Tecumseh engine? Is there an alternative for the front headlight?
I'm in the process of ordering some parts from Jim and Bob from Blackwidow motorsports. Is there any other places to look for parts for this bike? I'm finding that parts and bikes seem to be quite sparse. Thanks everyone.

Attachments

Triley41395

Hi everyone, new to the forum. I bought his 1970 Speedway Shark last fall. I didn't know much about it when I bought at it other than I thought it was cool and had a great look. After some research online I'm excited to start restoring it. I have a some initial questions. I'm looking for the disc brake pucks or what can be used for alternatives. I'm trying to figure out what the rear brake switch set up was or how it wired in from the LHS brake lever. What is a typical compression for the Tecumseh engine? Is there an alternative for the front headlight?
I'm in the process of ordering some parts from Jim and Bob from Blackwidow motorsports. Is there any other places to look for parts for this bike? I'm finding that parts and bikes seem to be quite sparse. Thanks everyone.
Not a chance I'd restore anything on that bike. Id change as little as possible, maybe bulbs and muffler, get it running and ride the shit out of it.
Have fun no matter what you end up doing.

that bikes pretty nice for it's age. keep it original , you can find parts everywhere just have to keep your eyes out for them.
Here's my shark , very little use. the first sign was the lettering on the belt. the jackshaft still has the rubber boot over the spring.
many are always gone. the rubber flaps/nipples are still fully intact on both front and rear tire.
The fork ears are in good condition along with the rest of the bike. the seats in pretty nice shape too.

( came from the original owners barn ) - I'm a former member
Screenshot 2024-04-02 10.13.53 AM.png

Last edited: