Buying this, What is it?

DaddyJohn

So, Grand Prix was same as Deckson in Australia? Made in Taiwan?

How many made it to the states I wonder?

Last edited:

Triley41395

So, Grand Prix was made by Deckson in Australia?

How many made it to the states I wonder?
I really don't know much about them but it was one of the first mini's that I bought. I believe they are Taiwanese built frames use by different companies. I was planning on making new lower forks and kind of choppering it out. I have seen quite a few for sale

DaddyJohn

Wait… Now that I’ve started messing with it, Marcus is pretty much spot on with it being a Huskee Hill Climber. It was pretty heavily modified, but the handlebar clamps and the cut-off weld remnants where a scrub brake assembly used to live sort of seal the deal.

Attachments

Last edited:

DaddyJohn

The way it was geared, it was no wonder. It had a gear reduction PTO to jackshaft, plus at jackshaft to rear sprocket! Check out the drive system the PO came up with. I have to appreciate the ingenuity, but then wonder “why”? Instead of bolting on a centrifugal clutch, he made his own engine plate, flipped the rear wheel, and added a jackshaft. I guess so he could run the belt system, which is dangerous because you have to pull the lever or push the pedal to disengage it. Meaning, its normal condition is hooked-up and driving. Not safe IMHO. So, I’ve carefully dissected everything (see pic in post #7) and will be reconfiguring it to the standard layout. At least in terms of the drive system. Totally going to be a resto-mod, otherwise.

Attachments

nightgrider

The way it was geared, it was no wonder. It had a gear reduction PTO to jackshaft, plus at jackshaft to rear sprocket! Check out the drive system the PO came up with. I have to appreciate the ingenuity, but then wonder “why”? Instead of bolting on a centrifugal clutch, he made his own engine plate, flipped the rear wheel, and added a jackshaft. I guess so he could run the belt system, which is dangerous because you have to pull the lever or push the pedal to disengage it. Meaning, its normal condition is hooked-up and driving. Not safe IMHO. So, I’ve carefully dissected everything (see pic in post #7) and will be reconfiguring it to the standard layout. At least in terms of the drive system. Totally going to be a resto-mod, otherwise.
I was wondering about the "clutch" set up. Figured it had to be some sort of belt drive. Thanks for sharing.

DaddyJohn

Here’s the finished product. I got rid of the jackshaft and flipped the rear wheel and brake assembly (some bending of the brake arm and stop bracket required, and had to weld a stop tab to the frame). I had to extend the right side footpeg mount because the engine had to sit to the right quite a bit to achieve a straight chain run. It appears a bit unbalanced if you’re looking straight down on it, but it rides fine. Other details are aftermarket risers, Mega Moto handlebars and controls, Indak keyed ignition, vintage Kawasaki footpegs, and a new motor plate welded on. 212cc Ducar pressure washer engine makes it scoot pretty well, though I wouldn’t call it a speed demon by any means. I welded a heart-shaped kickstand pad on the bicycle kickstand that made it look a bit like a devil’s tail, so I ran with that thematically. :D

Attachments