Search results

1. Ayers Garage

Cat 250x restoration and modification build thread

I haven't forgotten you about the seat. My youngest daughter got the ear tubes issues and those bills have become due. I do think I'm going to want to change plans on the seat we had discussed though. I'm going to want an all white seat with blue piping around the top perimeter. Just a basic...
  2. Ayers Garage

I figured I'd bring this back to the top for a bit of an update. I got the Honda 400ex handlebar risers powdercoated and installed along with some Schwinn handlebars and white grips. I also got the ebay thumb throttle all powdercoated and installed too... The project is completely done...
  3. Ayers Garage

Trouble getting some Tecumseh parts - workaround

So how does one go about machining the block to the proper specs to fit a sleeve ? I'd assume there is some interference fit involved since you froze the liner prior to installing it into the block. Is the block machined a few thousandths smaller than the sleeve OD or what ? Sorry for the...
  4. Ayers Garage

I appreciate the kind words. I'm a fireman, but I own a powdercoating shop too.
  5. Ayers Garage

I got these handlebar risers off of a Honda 400EX ATV. I don't have a picture of them, but I detailed and powdercoated them already. I'm still waiting on my handlebars to arrive and still need to paypal 8ball for a seat. Hope to have it completed in another couple of weeks.
  6. Ayers Garage

New pegs welded on further forward since I'm pretty big and this thing is pretty small.. All mocked up to check fitment of everything...I also axed off the scrub brake. Now, to build a proper brake.. Paper template... Transfer to steel plate... Rough fit check... Finished bracket...
  7. Ayers Garage

Gas tank cleaned, powdercoated, and sealed with POR15 tank sealer... I threw it together to make sure I liked the look. When disassembling the core engine, I cataloged all bolts and ordered new socket head stainless replacements... New front wheels from Old Minibike Warehouse (great...
  8. Ayers Garage

First off, this will probably take several posts to get started. I have a lot of pictures. I'm a new guy here so I figured I'd do a build thread on my latest project. It's a Cat 250x that I bought a few weeks ago for 50 bucks... The engine was wasted from sitting outside uncovered for...
  9. Ayers Garage

How do I make my paint "gas" proof?

Just powdercoat it. You're looking at 20 bucks or so to get it done. Why spend 12 bucks on a can of spray paint and can of spray clear ? Do it right.
  10. Ayers Garage

Need some magnetron conversion info

part number 394970
  11. Ayers Garage

Need some magnetron conversion info

I just converted mine a few days ago. The Magnetron kit comes in a little box with full instructions. It clips into place on the stock coil. You connect one wire and you're done. I just bead blasted my original coil and reused it with the kit, which cost 14 dollars at my local small engine parts...
  12. Ayers Garage

New Ride

If you really want to improve your brake, you might do some research on clutch brakes. There's a good number of threads on this board concerning them with good pictures. After reading all the options that's what I chose for my project to replace the scrub brake.
  13. Ayers Garage

anybody notice?

So you're sayng you remove the governor which allows the engine to rev higher than the engineers designed it to, then when it breaks you take it back in for warranty replacement ? Reminds me of a new Camaro that came through the dealership shop where I was a mechanic. It had connecting rods...
  14. Ayers Garage

Briggs and Stratton Blower Housing Help

Thank you for the kind words. I'm waiting awhile longer before I do a build thread on my project but I hope it won't be a disgrace once I show it off. I'm pretty OCD about the small details.
  15. Ayers Garage

Briggs and Stratton Blower Housing Help

They are spot welded in place originally. Do you have access to a welder ? Here's a 3 hp shroud I just got done powdercoating. See the little dimples next to each leg ? Those are the spot welds I am talking about.
  16. Ayers Garage

Need source for a rear sprocket for a Cat

I need a new rear sprocket for my Cat, but it seems to have a weird smaller bolt pattern than the aftermarket ones I see everyone selling. I haven't mic'd it exactly yet but it's close to 2.5 inches. It seems most of them I am finding are on a 2 13/16 bolt circle or similar. Any pointers on...
  17. Ayers Garage

How to fix a loose choke slide on Briggs carb

I'm a new guy on here so I figured I'd try and offer a little tech to maybe help some folks out. I've read on here where some guys are struggling with loose choke slides on these carbs. Some even replaced the whole carb with a different setup just because of this issue. As you probably...
  18. Ayers Garage

is this model # a 3hp

Definitely a 3 horse engine. I have one with the same number that I am currently rebuilding and powdercoating for my project bike.