Search results

1. J

Tote Gote In St Louis Area

There are pictures in the photo section under "Joe in St Louis" or cut & paste... Message - Old Mini Bikes Photo Gallery Not sure what year or model. The clutch in a newer style, not the original. Engine is an 8hp B&S. It's not fast (25 mph?) but it will climb a tree. I don't have any...
  2. J

And then there were NINE

If you get the chance, please post some pics of that 2-speed trans disassembled. I'd like to see how they did that-engage one sprocket while letting the other free wheel. I presume it isn't a shift-on-the-fly set up; more like a high/low range. Joe in St Louis Tote Gote
  3. J

Got a good deal today

Parting out a Norton? Please tell me more! I have 2 ('71 750 & '75 850) and am a member of a local Norton club. What do you want to move out of your garage? Thanks, Joe in St Louis
  4. J

Generator on Tecumseh

AC was commonly used on motorcycles & scooters to power head lights. My old Vespa ('63) used AC to power the lights. They would get brighter as the revs came up. I've also had a '61 Norton once that converted the AC to DC with a bridge rectifier, but it had no voltage regulator. If the amperage...
  5. J

My Neighbor Boy Came By Last Night...

CaliJeff nailed it! The yellow one is a 1970 Commando "Fastback". The tank, seat, and tailpiece were featured on the original Commandos sold in 1968. The more familiar Roadster model was not offered until mid-'69 (Named the S model), and was fitted with dual high pipes going down the L/H side of...
  6. J

Thanks for the correction - I never noticed! Joe in St Louis
  7. J

No, not Triumph nor Honda. Good Try! Hint #2: This marque won the first Isle of Man TT in 1907, ridden by Rem Fowler at an average speed of 36.22 MPH. No fair Googling! Joe in St Louis
  8. J

Top view with the seat & parcel rack removed showing the driveline. 7 HP (?) B & S, Comet 40 Series T/C Clutch, Unknown Driven Pulley, V-Belt Brake, Dual Jackshafts, 10" Rims, Tractor Style Chevron Tread Rear Tire
  9. J

Another shot from the left side
  10. J

...and took some photos of the Ol' Goat in my garage with his digital camera. 20 pts for anyone who can identify the yellow bike in the background. Hint: same brand bike on the stand to the right.
  11. J

Leak Down Test

Good discussion here-thanks for the input. Minidrag, your point about a scratch in the cylinder or taper certainly would support what I'm seeing with the weak compression. I might have to pull the head to take a look. I do have quite a lot of experience with ignition timing, setting up degree...
  12. J

Changing Ratios

Yes, when you add up the flywheel, crankshaft, and the Comet series 40 clutch, there is quite a bit of rotating mass. I can see where the mass thing is important for drag racing/acceleration, but it shouldn't have any effect on torque. Take a look at tractor design - huge rotating flywheels to...
  13. J

Some questions on Torque Converters

I've done a little more research. I contacted the manufacturer of Comet T/Cs & had them send me some tech data on the series 40. There design incorporates a cam on the driven pulley, which is for torque sensing. When extra load is encountered the cam combines with the spring that squeezes the...
  14. J

Here is a link to what I have. http://www.hoffcocometstore.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=244
  15. J

Changing Ratios

Although I've only ridden my Goat a few times, it's obvious that the overall drive ratio needs some modification. It has a (presumably) 7 hp Briggs, a (presumably) series 40 Comet Torque Converter, and two jack shafts back to the rear wheel. The Comet site says that a series 40 has a range...
  16. J

I've seen the Torque Converters used on Mini Bikes, scooters, go carts, etc for a long time, but I never really gave too much thought about their operation until recently. I understand the general idea - as engine speed goes up the clutch sheaves squeeze together and the driven pulley spreads...
  17. J

Leak Down Test

Yellowhand - I believe Harbor Freight now sells a leak-down tester kit for around $35 - $40. Here is a link to a do-it-yourself build article... http://www.xs11.com/tips/misc/misc3.shtml The Ol' Goat is looking pretty good, and I'm having some fun working on it. Spent some time...
  18. J

Engine ID

Thanks for the link, Josh. I took those numbers to the parts manual page at B & S site; Model 170702. The third & fourth digit verifies that the shroud came from a vertical crankshaft engine, which was 17 Cu. In (1st two digits). By changing the 3rd & 4th digits from 07 to 04, I found a parts...
  19. J

Leak Down Test

I pulled the engine out of my Goat yesterday to take care of some issues - throttle linkage, belt tension, clean-up, ect. I was curious about the condition of the valves/rings because it doesn't seem to have a whole lot of compression. I have a leak-down tester so I thought I'd give it a try...
  20. J

Engine ID

Yesterday I spent some time working on my Tote Goat. It has a big older style Briggs, but I'm not sure of the hp - the shroud has a decal stating it's 7 hp but the decal is up side down, which makes me believe the shroud/recoil came from a vert. crankshaft motor. The model & serial #s are...