Search results

1. S

Wheel puller help

I've run into similar things with automotive work, cut the hub 80-90% through with a grinder wheel then use a cold chisel and a large sledgehammer to crack the bottom of the cut. It keeps the saw blade off the shaft you're trying to save. Good luck whatever method you use!
  2. S

not for highway use tires.

At the speeds you're going to feel safe running those non DOT tires there is little risk of blowouts from heat buildup. Look close at the tires we run when they spin unloaded, the tread waves up and down and isn't truly circular like a DOT tire. You're gonna notice that at highway speeds...
  3. S

Newbie with a roller frame in good shape!

I think yours actually started as a hardtail model and somebody converted it to a spring seat. I have a Grand prix too
  4. S

A good day in the barn..........

I don't know what our Mopar friend is doing but I've found that running want ads on craigslist brings leads faster than I can spend money :) Good score Mopar!
  5. S

Dave Grattan "Hound Dog"

Really like the wheels and tires. Those huge lugs fit right in with the all-business square frame
  6. S

Frame for a 10hp tecumseh

Thanks Oldsalt, I had been thinking a few of the same things relative to the size of this Tec. Good post. Regal, is your GP the spring-seat version? The hard tails have a taller loop which might clear a 10hp but there's no way my sprung version would fit unless stretched.
  7. S

3hp Briggs Engine Questions

Diaphragm or clogged jet/pickup tube, once the carb is halfway right they start pretty well. Although the choke models always start better, maybe now's the time to change yours :) Have fun with it!
  8. S

Frame for a 10hp tecumseh

I've been thinking about another minibike project, using an 80s vintage 10 horse Tecumseh. The engine is pretty large and I'd like to avoid stretching a chassis. It's definitely too big for my Grand Prix Are there any families of minibike out there that I should be shopping for?
  9. S

Synthetic oil in new engine!?

^ this Your engine would like some zinc in it's oil, and they're removed zinc from modern oils since it interferes with catalytic converters and oxygen sensors. Easy ways to get zinc are racing oils, a glug of STP additive into regular oil, an off road motorcycle oil, or a special "break in"...
  10. S

Humble '68 Tecumseh snowblower engine turns to a life of speed

Even going to a professional quality enamel instead of hardware store enamel will drastically improve chemical resistance. Many auto body stores will make spray cans, but prices (and their willingness to do it) varies wildly.
  11. S

powdercoating briggs tanks

The melting point of a metal is when it becomes completely liquid, they'll become slushy hundreds of degrees below that
  12. S

Chain Alignment Tool?

Honestly the gears and sprockets on minibikes aren't manufactured to a tolerance where a laser would improve anything.
  13. S

Cracked off carb mount

A pro welding shop should be able to fix that for lunch money, but they're not going to weld the original ear back on if it's broken like the diagram. They're gonna grind it cleaner, then build back up to where it can be drilled, tapped, and ground flat. If you're up for the...
  14. S

is there a difference?

Color was often matched to the piece of equipment they were originally installed on, and doesn't signify anything inside the engine.
  15. S

ARCO CHain hits on left hand turns

With a chain breaker/installer you don't have to run a master link.
  16. S

right side drive or left side drive

With a jackshaft, it doesn't really matter which side the engine drive is on, just move the shaft gears to where they need to be. Most minibike rear brakes are also flippable side to side if there was a clearance issue with the engine chain.
  17. S

Which elecric starter

The briggs twins used in lawnmowers forever have a plastic starter gear and a metal ring gear. They last a lot longer than you think, but when Lowes keeps them in stock they gotta be a frequent seller. Lowes really doesn't stock engine parts other than filters.
  18. S

Quiet down header

I've used fiberglass insulation the same way as the steel wool is proposed above, it would do a good job for several hours of use before breaking down and disappearing. Stole the stuff straight out of dad's attic, nothing fancy at all. Just the metal insert itself will cut DBs...
  19. S

80202 over size piston question

Cylinders are bored mainly because they taper with wear. A hone is flexible and won't remove taper in a cylinder. A boring bar is rigid and will re-establish the cylinder as a true cylinder. If you try to bore with a hone, what's gonna happen is there will be parts of the cylinder that...
  20. S

Which of these 3 engine's should i use?

Generator engines tend to have a lot of use hours if they've ever been used for anything other than emergency power during storms. Most other briggs horizontal shaft applications are short-run and seasonal. I tend to pull the rope real slowly and evenly and feel for how it builds compression...