Search results

1. jforb427

Fixing up a Tote Gote VS

I pulled the Gote out of the garage today, and fixed the spring on the pull starter. And adjusted the carb. And took it for a couple rides. Fun.
  2. jforb427

Fixing up a Tote Gote VS

Tried to start the bike the other day, pull cord stopped retracting...oh well, I guess I get to fix something else. I also got mostly done with my Airstream trailer, and got the first robotics competition out of the way, so I might have some time in the near future to figure it out,
  3. jforb427

Found a Tote Gote in so. AZ

Tried to start the bike the other day, pull cord stopped retracting...oh well, I guess I get to fix something else. I also got mostly done with my Airstream trailer, and got the first robotics competition out of the way, so I might have some time in the near future to figure it out,
  4. jforb427

When we were young

thanks! B&W photos...we were into photography at that time, too. I developed negatives, and printed pictures on my home made enlarger. So we were always looking for stuff to snap pics of (when we could afford a roll of film).
  5. jforb427

When we were young

thanks! Looking at one of the pics, I see a motorcycle carb. I kind of remember that...dad got a wrecked 60s Honda Dream 160, and I think that's what the carb came off. I don't remember how well it worked, or didn't work.
  6. jforb427

When we were young

I remember we switched the tires, because the rear tire got worn out from the brake riding on it (it had that really simple brake, you recall). The seat was reupholstered when we lived in Mexico for a little while, 1973-74.
  7. jforb427

The Vintage Mini Bike Family Photo Scrapbook

My older brother had a paper route in 1970-71, then we moved, so he gave it up. but he had saved up enough money to buy a minibike, which was neat, since we moved out to the country (west of Tucson AZ). It was a CAT, 3hp Tecumseh, very basic bike. We wore it out. Don't know what happened to it...
  8. jforb427

When we were young

My older brother had a paper route in 1970-71, then we moved, so he gave it up. but he had saved up enough money to buy a minibike, which was neat, since we moved out to the country (west of Tucson AZ). It was a CAT, 3hp Tecumseh, very basic bike. We wore it out. Don't know what happened to it...
  9. jforb427

Fixing up a Tote Gote VS

Thanks! the picture is very helpful. I had read about the flow process, and was thinking about how I might do something similar. The main problem with painting something like that, is getting the paint everywhere, especially underneath. I was thinking about making a rotisserie, mainly to make it...
  10. jforb427

Fixing up a Tote Gote VS

Made a new seat today, my wife sewed up the cover. I took the front brake apart, and cleaned out the excess grease that someone pumped into it. Got lucky, the shoes were not gummed up. The carb kit came in the mail, so I got that back together, and running...but it was dark out by the time I was...
  11. jforb427

Fixing up a Tote Gote VS

I was thinking about the kill switch, and the doorbell button that was hanging by a wire from my engine. Where was it mounted? then I figured it out, must have been under the seat. So I looked at the seat plywood, sure enough, there are two screw holes that line up exactly, near the front. Neat...
  12. jforb427

Fixing up a Tote Gote VS

Oh...one other interesting thing. Looks like the B got a mud shield for the carb. My VS has one, it might be original? or added on? It looks like the mounting screw hole is original, since it's punched in, like the others for the screen retainers, etc.
  13. jforb427

Fixing up a Tote Gote VS

It's kind of crazy that folks are still playing with these things almost 60 years later...and so concerned about the little details! :) Thanks again for the info. I'll see if I can add some of this stuff to my web page selectric.org
  14. jforb427

Fixing up a Tote Gote VS

Thanks, very helpful! I wonder what serial number Davis' bike is? It sure looks like there was some variety on these things, as far as a few of the smaller parts. The seat on the old picture of the bike on it's stand, looks like what mine has. Black all over. The pegs on the two in the...
  15. jforb427

Fixing up a Tote Gote VS

Polishing the balls worked fine. They roll now. Just needed to remove the rust from them. I put it all back together, and went for a little ride...the clutch is happy now, it speeds up and slows down like it should. The carb drips, but it seems to run mostly ok. I guess that's the next part that...
  16. jforb427

Fixing up a Tote Gote VS

Thanks. I decided to try to polish the balls, I chucked one up in the lathe, and ran sandpaper on it...seems to work. But it takes a while. I know I can buy new ones....they're just 3/4" steel balls (the mic says 0.7500") I was able to remove the inner cone. I had squirted some penetrating...
  17. jforb427

Fixing up a Tote Gote VS

I remembered I have a bearing separator that might be big enough, so I got that on the clutch, and was able to pull it off. The outer half, at least. I still want to remove the inner half, but that might wait until I take the engine apart? I do need to get the rust off the cone, so it won't eat...
  18. jforb427

Fixing up a Tote Gote VS

That's the feeling I get, too. Now, for that pesky clutch....I would like to get it to work smoothly, which probably requires removing it and taking it apart and cleaning stuff. Are there any sure fire methods to get the clutch off safely? I can build a puller for it, if needed.
  19. jforb427

Fixing up a Tote Gote VS

hmmmm....I was poking around the internets, and found this thread http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/what-is-it-/133989-tote-gote-600-motor-identification.html that shows what appear to be the same brake handles mine has. Interesting.
  20. jforb427

Fixing up a Tote Gote VS

I also put a kill switch on it....I wonder what they had originally? this one had an old doorbell button kind of dangling from some old wire. The clutch sticks in the "go fast" position, which makes riding a bit exciting. The throttle seems to work, more or less. The brakes work, more or...