Search results

1. D

MTD refurb

I did not see any of those tags on my MTD. I was also interested in seeing if I can get this road legal. It would be pretty easy to install a turn signal/light switch on the bars and add some cheap signals. Same for the brake light. It already has a tail light, just need to source an old cable...
  2. D

MTD Trail Flite info and parts (New mini bike owner)

Cracks are welded up, a new steer tube is on and the frame is stripped down. I just need to clean up the swing arm and forks and I will be ready for paint.
  3. D

I now have all the old welds ground off and prepped to be re-welded. It has become a bigger project than I expected but I hope it pays off in the end. I do still need some sort of a gas tank for it. I like the look of the spun aluminum ones on eBay, but I do not like the high prices. Any ideas...
  4. D

MTD refurb

Very nice collection you have. I don't think mine will look that nice when completed, but at least it should be a fun toy.
  5. D

MTD refurb

Those bikes look great. Where were the cracks on the orange bike? I just finished grinding down the nasty welds for about 6 large cracks on my project. 1 of the welds was built up almost an inch thick, Crazy! All the cracks are on the frame rails or steer tube. Looks like the steer tube had...
  6. D

Today's motor find has 115 psi compression, and the ID sticker says it's a 172cc, where as the old motor that came on the mini bike is a 195cc. Does anyone know if the heads are different? Would it be worth putting the 172cc head on the 195cc block?
  7. D

Well I just bought an old go kart with the same OHH50 motor on it for $50. I was told that it sat for the last decade, but the engine looks in better condition and turns over easy. Will clean it up and open it after lunch.
  8. D

What I have noticed looking at the Tecumseh HHO50 that came on the bike (warped head) and pictures of other engines, is that I need a rear facing exhaust port. Which the Tecumseh and old flat heads seem to have. So I am looking for a new head for the HHO50 or a flat head motor. The trouble I am...
  9. D

Well bad luck strikes again. In a hurry to get this little bike enjoyable before we run out of good weather up here I decided to go buy a Predator motor with the $99 coupon. I was able to get a Hemi version as well. A test fit was tight, having to remove the factory exhaust in order for it to...
  10. D

Well I went back and the Briggs was gone. So now it’s the used Honda (not a clone) or a new Predator for the same amount. Giving myself the weekend to think about it.
  11. D

Well it turns out the Tecumseh has a warped head. The valves are straight (chuck them up and spin them on a drill) but they do not completely close, resulting in a large amount of blow back out the carb while trying to start it. Once fired, it does run briefly but however. Either way I do not...
  12. D

Those rpm sound reasonable. I did find your OHH build thread and read through it. It was nice to see how much success you have had with your Tecumseh motors considering how few parts are out there compared to the Honda clones.
  13. D

Do you know how many rpm the factory wheel will handle (if I raise or remove the governor)? If I remove the governor will valve float act as a low enough governor? I do not intend on running it at valve float, but know what that feels like and back off on other motors. I went out to Symco with...
  14. D

Rupp_It_Up 71 Rupp Roadster - Vintage Class

The bike looks very good, nice work! Where did you find the sprocket? It looks to be the same one I have on a MTD Trail Flite I am fixing up but I can't find it.
  15. D

Thanks to you both. I finished porting the head and manifold to match the larger carb tonight. Still don’t know if it’s worth it but gives me something to play with.
  16. D

I received the Comet 30 series drive yesterday and while I was looking at it I noticed that the bolt it came with is to large. Does anyone know what size the internal threads are on the output shaft of the OHH50?
  17. D

Complete GX200

Is that mud splatter on the sides of the motor or paint? How healthy is this motor, assuming good compression? I am new to mini bikes but very interested in your motor. Is the GXV flywheel factory or good for higher RPM? I am not looking to turn 9,000 rpm like some of these motors but I would be...
  18. D

Sounds good, thanks delray.
  19. D

The carb I ordered does have the adjustment screws if that makes a difference. But I do understand it is still oversized. Are there any flywheels available to safely remove the governor? I am not looking to build a 9000 rpm screamer, but the 3600ish I see most of these motors run is a bit low.
  20. D

I am considering cleaning up the old sprocket, a little bit of grinding and filing the teeth to clean them up for the new chain. Just to get the bike useable. I parts cost is double what I had hoped to get the thing running. I will continue cleaning it up until the part arrive. Once they get...