1:2 ratio rockers ?

I would say yes, you should run the stainless retainers with 26lb springs. If you look at the stock retainers they are pretty thin where they lock onto the valve & the overall design in my opinion is horrible. Maybe it's fine for stock & basic performance, but I can see that amount of spring pressure destroying the retainers over time. IE tearing or popping off & dropping a valve...

Only down side to this is you will have to buy (Stainless Valves, Keepers & the retainers). The stock valves are not machined the same as the aftermarket stainless valves where the stainless keepers will locate on the valve. I don't believe the stock valves are cut long enough for the stainless keepers to sit flush against the side of the valve.

Personally I don't think you need that much spring pressure. 18lbers should be just fine unless you plan on revving that thing to the moon & at that point your gonna have to buy some more important parts for safety reasons first (Billet rod, Aluminum flywheel, etc, etc)...

Another thing to be concerned about is if you plan on using that amount of spring pressure then you have to worry about push rod deflection, rocker distortion, cam wear, etc, etc. So your also looking at buying moly push rods & possibly reinforced rocker arms too.

There are some other people on here that have alot more 1st hand knowledge with these little guy's and I'm sure they can tell you what will & will not work. I'm just giving you advice based off of my personal build & what little mechanical knowledge I have.

In my personal build I went with stainless valves, retainers & keepers but stuck with 18lb springs. Now I know on AGK's website they recommend the use of 26lb springs when using the stainless valve package. But there reasoning is based on coil bind issues when using a larger camshaft & 1.2 ratio rockers. On another site I read that the 1.2 rockers really measure out to a 1.3 ratio? If you take into consideration the extra material on the retainers then your compressing the valve spring slightly more then with the stock retainers. I was able to combat my coil bind issues by shimming up the rocker studs alitle 1mm to be exact, but I also decked my cylinder head 65 thousanths so the head was alot closer to the block. You can only imagine how much longer the push rods ended up being? So by me moving the rockers up I gained back the tolerence with my push rods & should really still have decent valve lift.

Anyway back to the spring pressure??? My personal thoughts about having to use 26lb springs was that if the entire stainless kit is suppose to be lighter in weight the the factory parts, then 18lb spring should be able to control the valve just fine? Lighter components with the same spring tension means more overall valve control correct?

Thats the same concept I used in my 500ci aluminum headed big block mopar. The heads have stainless valves, a lighter valve spring (mass wise) that still had a exceptional spring rate & titanium retainers & keepers. Overall I was able to remove about 3lbs from the valve train. Now if you take that into consideration at 7K RPM thats alot less stress on all the moving parts.

Last edited:
thats pretty nice man. me and my dad are working on 2 mopars right now a 1970 duster, were putting a 383bb in it, .480 high lift cam, flat top pistons, roller rockers,aluminum heads,single quad high rise intake with a demon 1090 carb.

the other one we are working on is mine. its a 1958 dodge d-100 step side, we are putting a ford 9 inch chuck under it, tubing the bed out,4:11 gears, tanking the strait axle front end out from under it put one off a old Plymouth valore with shocks and rack and pinion steering. now for the engine. we are putting a 440 bored .30 over making it a 446 in it with a 871 supercharger dual quad,2 1000 cfm carbs on it, with a nitrous kit, aluminum heads, roller rockers, stroker crank,flat top eagle pistons and eagle rods. oh yea and we are putting roll bars in it. :thumbsup:

since this thread has been Mopar'd now i figured i'd post up a couple of pics.

i went out to the shop my friend works at one night and they had a Hemi Roadrunner there (it's a Mercedes shop). i about had to change my shorts.

well since we are turning this into a mopar thread.

here is a 1967 Plymouth barracuda (formula s) originally had a 383 4 speed now has a 440 4 speed with hemi offset ram intake.

here is a 1934 or a 1935 (cant remember) dodge truck, dually axle, hydroloic bed, 426 hemi the radiators yes two of them are custom mounted on the side behind the cab you can see it in the pic.

:thumbsup: