1971 speedway shrike or parts of one

Hi everybody So we went to pick up a sears mini and this was there next to it, seller didn't want to part with it but ended up letting us buy both. He told me it was a speedway and honestly I had never even heard of one before, we just thought it looked cool and bought the two. So after searching the site for speedways I am fairly sure it's a 71 or at least most of it so that's the what is it question how much of this is correct for a 71?
Tank has the remnants of the straight speedway and shrike decal. forks are original orange. handle bars look to have the original kill button and brake lever, frame 3 bolt tank mount, square top bar frame and hole for cables and the up lifted grab bar in the rear. not sure about the clutch, the clutch cover and the clutch cover bracket also the rear sprocket looks to be of a newer model. motor plate should not be slotted. please give us you thoughts and expertise, this one is going to get the royal restore and that has already begun. still looking for a correct hs40 for it so I don't have to steal the one from the trailblazer. 71 shrike.jpg 100_4209.JPG 100_4212.JPG 100_4213.JPG 100_4215.JPG 100_4216.JPG 100_4217.JPG

Yes, It would be a 71 Shrike. Everything is correct. Slots in the engine plate are for adjusting the tension on the chain. That clutch cover is very hard to find. Speedway used one half of the gas tank to make the cover.

Last edited:
The engine plate is not supposed to be slotted. It's supposed to have 4 5/16" holes with no belt adjustment. People usually slot them because the correct belt is almost impossible to find.

Nice find, Most all of the hard to find parts are there. Torque convertor cover is original and seems to be in very nice shape, very tough to find them. :thumbsup:

Nice find, Most all of the hard to find parts are there. Torque convertor cover is original and seems to be in very nice shape, very tough to find them. :thumbsup:
Thanks John G, I was in awe the more posts I read about these being so rare to find. the cover is solid a couple little dings a little bending at the bolt holes nothing that rawhide mallet and a sand bag wont fix. frame is solid, got the fork caps loose, even the inside of the tank is clean couldn't believe there wasn't any rust it there. Planning to keep pictures to post as progress continues hope to have it done come spring.

The engine plate is not supposed to be slotted. It's supposed to have 4 5/16" holes with no belt adjustment. People usually slot them because the correct belt is almost impossible to find.
thanks Ajf, that's what I thought i was planning to fix the plate and only punch the 4 bolt holes back in it but if the belt is going to be an issue i think that i will still fix the plate but go ahead and put back in some shorter slots or just get the best match available common size belt and set the motor with just the 4 holes. have to think about that one.

Yes, It would be a 71 Shrike. Everything is correct. Slots in the engine plate are for adjusting the tension on the chain. That clutch cover is very hard to find. Speedway used one half of the gas tank to make the cover.
Thanks Tom, yes i was quite surprised to find out what i had here from reading other posts, that awesome its correct for the 71 as well as the other parts cant wait to get this Shrike flying again.