2+2=4

@Ginz61 , It's good to see you! I think you will be amused by the way the old Hoffco engine is used.
Hi Sparkwizard! I like that you and your son are creative and willing to try outside the box engineering. I hope it works out and that you don’t have to revert to the backup plan ! Happy New Year my friend and good luck with all of your projects!!

Thank you, Sir! We were looking at an old Ted Williams/ Eska air cooled boat motor and the lower unit gave us some ideas.
Why not put a sprocket where the propeller is?

So, we will go from there.

He did ask me if the key would start them both....HAHAHAHA!!!!

The weather is wet and cold. My shop is out in the back yard, and unheated. I believe I have all of the seals and gaskets I will need to freshen up this engine. IMG_20240107_102719.jpg

Last edited:
I found this old thread while waiting for parts:
https://oldminibikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/clinton-a400-for-sale.50764/
And this one.
https://oldminibikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/old-air-compressor-with-clinton-a400.49861/
It is the same engine, and it looks like it hasn't had gas in it since that time. IMG_20240107_102827.jpg
IMG_20240107_102729.jpg
It's the same serial number, same broken bolt, and the carry handle on top. I bought it from a member here, who is not one of the members in those threads. It seems like it has been around quite a while, and it's about time we put it to use.

Last edited:
I need to remove the pulley from the PTO and drill and tap the PTO for clutch retention. I have been reading that the weak point of these old Clintons was the connecting rod. This is an A400. They made an A490 which had a ball bearing on the PTO side, but still had a rod that was fine as long as the governor worked. The last version was the 500, which had a much stronger rod in it. That rod was used by the kart racers, and I have not had any luck finding finding one, or most of the hard parts for this engine. So, I posted a want ad.
https://oldminibikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/hunting-for-a-panther.179493/
I bought two old Clintons. The generator engine is a 500, with the stronger rod. My plan is to disassemble this A400, put the 500 piston and rod into it with new rings and gaskets, ignore the governor and use it on this mini bike. Then use the A400 rod in the 500 with the governor on the generator.
If that swap is a problem, I do not mind using the governor, it just has a backward, odd setup where the cable has to PUSH the lever, rather than PULL it. IMG_20240107_112146.jpg

Last edited:
I got the engine all taken apart. It looks very good inside. The cross hatch is still in the cylinder and the seals even look great. The carburetor is soaking in the Berryman's can.
I installed the rod from the Clinton 500 onto a new piston and rings and they do fit perfectly in the A400. That will make me feel better if I want to re v it like a saw. This engine has a heavy iron flywheel, but digging in the box of generator parts, the 500 has an aluminum flywheel with it. That could be interesting. I have all new gaskets and seals for this engine. I need to clean, blast and paint all of the parts before I reassemble it.

This one is 90 degrees, not 75 like some of them. It has steel gears and nice, sealed bearings. That little white smoker has a clutch and its own fuel tank. I'm calling it a vertical shaft engine. I can build a driveshaft from the engine to the gearbox. I ordered a splined shaft to mate up with the gearbox, and a 12 tooth TAV sprocket to weld to that nice, splined steel hub ^^^^^right there. This will be a fun lesson in why folks don't do stuff like this.

I also got one of these, just in case.
You never know...I might decide to flip an old Jacobsen on its side and mount it up there. My poor wife does not yet know who she turned loose with all those tools when I retired. IMG_20240116_205243.jpg IMG_20240116_205226.jpg