20 plus years dormant....Briggs IC 5 hp LIVES

After getting the donor engine off the go kart....and pouring out aluminum colored oil..:eek:hmy:..poor thing....I pulled the head ,carb,and tank.....Drug out my old 5 HP IC engine long block,.,..that had a stripped head and trashed tank/carb (siblings) It has sat in the garage for over +/- 20 years...

..also I am the original purchaser/owner....ball bearing raced crank and electronic ignition....with the pretty chrome air cleaner (thats not so pretty now) Think I gave $250 for it new in the late 80's

Tore it apart....fixed the Governor that lost a c clip and threw its guts apart....ect....Bought a carb kit...installed it....slapped her back together and after 2 or 3 pulls....SHE RUNS!

Engine is going on its 3rd yard toy....Should have my son karting tomorrow....!:laugh::thumbsup:

One tough little Briggs ...going again! total cost ....$30 in parts (carb kit and gov assembly) Now all I need are air cleaner elements....

:laugh:

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: I am thrilled to have it running...it has history.....all my friends rode the kart and mini it once powered.....I once had it crammed in a Grand Prix Standard.....after i spread the frame a bit :doah:

TomH

All I know is when I get something running that has been a pain, I scream "IT's ALIVE" and dance around just like that guy...can't help myself.:laugh::laugh:

Yea ....I just want a reliable engine thats safe (throttle hook up and gov) for my son...he has never had anything like this and just needs a slow fun toy....the briggs throttle hookup on the tank mount is wore out and sticking and gave me grief too....after half a gallon of fuel she was still smoking pretty well.....Im over it ....$30 bux is all im going on it....Predator will be bought Sunday...and new throttle cable installed this week....then he will get the kart....8o) while I ride my mini

engine and engine parts ect on classifieds

TomH

I hear ya. You might check the throttle on the black engine. I know that on the blue one there is a thrust washer you can remove under the movable lever that really helps the assembly to move freely. I left the flat white plastic washer on there. The throttle will self close that way.

Yea the throttle works well on my predator mini.....i only added a return spring to help pull the twist throttle back....(wasn't really needed)

When I put one on the kart....I will run the top rpm screw in to where a newbie 10 yr old cant floor it....that should help until I can change the rear sprocket to a larger tooth.....and slow him down while maintaining rpms to protect the clutch.

Spring I added is hooked to cable attachment arm and then to engine ...just pulls cable back to idle from twist grip...just in case.....

Last edited: