3x3 Azusa

Well Photobucket yanked the rug out from under me and it has taken me a while to repost pics. I figured I should start a new thread for the 3x3 since it has changed so much from what I had originally planned.

Pics.

Divouneh

Good mechanical job [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106], amazing [emoji6]...

Sent from my iPad using OldMiniBikes

I like the killing moles video on youtube, a couple of our cats decided the little dirt hills were perfect for taking a dump in. Then they discovered that there were little kritters down there, No more moles, didn't know the little buggers could run as fast as they do.

My buddy Alex came over today and we installed a brake on his Lil Indian then went for a rip down some local trails. The trail had some difficult sections, but we had a blast and the 3x3 worked flawlessly. The Lil Indian is surprisingly good offroad.

Thanks, I made the rear fender from an Azusa fender that I cut in half. I welded in a section of sheet metal that I rolled the edges over a pipe to match the radius of the Azusa fender..... worked good. It is mounted to the walking beam rear so it pivots with the rear tires over obstacles. This keeps the fender close enough to the tires to be effective, but allows the pivot to have a ton of travel.

I have played in a little mud with it and it did REALLY well, even though the mud wasn't very deep. The most difficult terrain I've had it on was definitely the sand dunes down in Oregon. There were more than a few guys struggling up the dunes on $10,000 dirt bikes with paddle tires giving me the wtf look as I passed their stuck ass on my little mini bike, ha. The tires definitely lend themselves to mud more than sand, so I predict it be pretty unstoppable in the deep stuff. There are a few short vids on Youtube, one of it in some mud. Just search 3x3 mini bike.

wardog,
That’s a great bike. Anymore information on that disconnect unit that you used? It looks interesting but how does it work and where did you purchase it? Sorry if I missed that.

SamM

The disconnect is technically an overrunning coupler that can freewheel also. I used a 1/2" Proto brand ratchet adapter from Amazon, drilled out the female square to accept a 5/8 jackshaft, cut the male square off, ground one side of the rachet pawl off to freewheel in one direction, and welded a sprocket around the outside. When disengaged the shaft can turn freely inside the sprocket, engaged it locks in one direction and ratchets the other allowing the front wheel to spin faster than the rear in a turn.... similar function to a differential in a car. When engaged the front wheel immediately starts pulling if the rears slip.

Ratchet adapter on bottom.

Installed on jackshaft with sprocket welded on.

All that said, there are better options out there. Like the $130 overrunning sprocket I posted on page 1; it is made specifically for that application. My ratchet setup is holding up so far, but I feel like it is definitely the weak link. I leave it in 3x3 all the time even on the street because you cant even tell on pavement, and the front pulling really helps offroad. I only ever disengage it to peel out.

Another cheap option is an overrunning coupler for a tractor pto.... they are onky about $45 and will definitely be strong enough as I think they are rated for up to 60hp tractors. Drawbacks are they are big and heavy, and they need some cutting/welding to adapt to a bike.

The overrunning coupler is on the top right.