4x4 go kart ideas

Ok, I'm still in the pondering stages but this is where I'm at as of right now. I want a go kart with the ability to go where ever an atv can go.
So far all I know is I don't wanna build my frame from scratch, and it has to be 2 seated. What I have in mind is a cheap go kart with an atv as a doner. I plan on chopping the gokart up and using the atv suspension(couple of different methods in mind), would like to have independent rear susp. And use the axles and hubs from the atv also. That's where I'm at. Not sure yet how much is plosible and how much is a pipe dream but I need more input. I'm new to this site and forums in general but I need more input. Thanks in advance!

Sounds like you have a lot going on in one vehicle, I recommend you put your plans on paper and let it sit for a couple days/weeks and then revise them. I change my mind about a 100 times once I feel the itch to build something. Sometimes simple/less is more. If you look back at my current (Quad) build thread, what you are describing is kind of what i started out to do but ended up just building a 4-wheeler and omitting the 4x4 idea and suspension in rear. You also need to consider your skills, tools, money available, and time frame you plan to complete this by. I have lots of ideas to share with you and you can get ahold of me if needed. Good Luck!

incogrhino

But..... to get back to ideas... I have a riding mower. Freebie. Currently mows my lawn during blue moons. In its next life 4x4 kart was always in the back of my mind. Has four wheel steering. Ranch king. Its pretty limited in the rear turn radius. But I'm sure that can be dealt with. Fat tires too.:thumbsup: Find 2 mowers. Fat tired four wheel steer ghetto kart. Major ghetto in my head. But ideas start some where.:shrug::001_tt2:

The best easiest way would use a lawn mower engine (vertical shaft) a bigger twin cy would be the best for the torque. And your gonna want to find a all wheel steer lawn mower(just for the rear transmission) For the front end, Then you can use a regular lawn mower transmission for the rear.

WrenchDad

Make a list of what you currently have available, then make a sketch of what you want and insert the stuff you have. (Motor,suspension ,wheels,drive,train, ect.)Then make another list of what you'll need to fill in the blanks. Figure out how you want to get the stuff you need (fabricate, donor's, buy new/used )Then make a list of your resorces, time,money,skill, tools. This will give you a plan and a place to start.

Sounds like a challenge good luck!

a 4 wheel drive atv would definatly provide the best donor parts. I have rear spindles from one of those 4 wheel steer lawn tractors. It can easily be made to steer farther and uses 3/4" axles. I planned to add it on to my jeep gocart someday but with tire chains and sitting right over the rear wheels it really doesnt need 4 wheel drive . maybe someday i will :shrug: but making something from those kind of parts that arnt designed for the job always comes with a challenge and some comprimises so your best off using an awd quad thats already got the r+d sorted out :laugh:

you need to race prep them if your going to be running high speeds. Lots of bushings inside not designed for prolonged high speed running so youve got to run oil in there instead of greese.

it depends on the tranny youll have to look on a mower racing site but they usually replace the bushings with needle bearings and put in seals and either oil or a lighter greese oil mix so that it doesnt all leak out. but yes you will definatly want to do more than leave it as it is if your going to be gearing it up.
I was just thinking the best way to make a 4wd kart would be an engine in front and an engine in back. Thatll do it :laugh:

toomanytoys

That is pretty sweet.

But if I was going to go through all that trouble, I'd go full scale with some stupid motor in it. Or go all out and build a pipe buggy.