5HP Briggs And Stratton Help

My 5HP In my Trike wont start anymore. I was wondering if anyone can help me diagnose the problem. The past couple pof times ive taken it out after i turn off the engine it backfires if that helps. So I took it out yesterday and after riding for about 10 minutes it died, it was out of fuel, so i refilled it then tried to start it and it started and idled for a couple of seconds then died. So i pulled the rope then jumped in and squeezed the throttle and it ran long enough for me to get it a couple of feet forward. Then i towed it up to the garage ewith our mower. I checked the spark plug and cleaned it off put it back, no go. but i really dont know much about small engines, so im asking for some help from you guys, i was thinking that maybe i need to replace the carb but i dont know. Its in a 1972 tricat and im pretty sure that the engine too is from the 70s.

Any help is much aprreciated

Thanks

If it's that old it may be time to change the points in it. You may have lost the spark to the spark plug. Just a quick guess
That or throw a diaphram in the carb, sometimes when they backfire it will burn/blow them out?

Like mdb said see if you have spark, if not, do what he said. If it's erratic spark it may have just sheared the key way. And if you do have good spark, put a diaphram in it:thumbsup:

(Oooops you replied about the spark while I was replying ,, clean the carb anyway.)

since it was fine until you ran out of gas, I would say you sucked up a bunch of crap that was inthe tank.

Sounds like you need to do a full tune up by now anyway so do all the basic stuff.

Last edited: