'67 Taco 44 Rear Brakes/Drum ?? Is A Mess

Is this 1967 Taco 44 brake drum, levers, plate, and everything pictured worth restoring? Is this how John Steen manufactured this unit? I see the repos have the bolts through the drum, not welded on. How does the brake cable attach. What is missing? Thank You all for your help!!!

I'm sure I can clean it up and make it work. Would that be the ORIGINAL STEEN thing to do? I do want this thing to stop when I hit the brakes!!! Thanks. :scooter:

Scottessey

What is missing? Thank You all for your help!!!
You need one of these. :thumbsup: Check with Taco Bill. I think he has a source for them.

Welded bolts is correct. (Maybe someone can post pics.) I'd try and save the original brake set up if possible! The sprocket looks to be in good shape. Is it worn? :cool:

Last edited:
Scottessey: Your pic of the cable shows a tab, of some sort, at the swingarm bolt. I have no such thing. Any ideas on that? I'll check w/ Taco Bill for the brake arm. Thanks!!:bowdown:

Okay, i'll blast everything, replace the brake shoes, and i'm good to go. The sprocket appears to be in good shape. :thumbsup:

I am in need of a set of swingarms, if anyone knows of any?:shrug:

Thank You, OldMiniBikes Is The Greatest!!:thumbsup:

Scottessey

Scottessey: Your pic of the cable shows a tab, of some sort, at the swingarm bolt. I have no such thing. Any ideas on that? I'll check w/ Taco Bill for the brake arm. Thanks!!:bowdown:

Okay, i'll blast everything, replace the brake shoes, and i'm good to go.
Post some pics of your brake. Are you referring to the tab the brake cable goes through near the swing arm bolt? It looks to me like yours might be there, just twisted a bit, which can likely be solved in a vise.:hammer:

Your brake shoes even look good to me!:thumbsup: