8-10 HP throttle hook up.

Since this has been asked before,,, I Thought I'd post this for those with a big Tecumseh that comes with the thumb controls and want a mini throttle at almost zero cost. This type is also doesn't stress the throttle body like hooking springs and cable directly "could." (if you have a 3.5-5HP,, I did a thread on that too and you can use the stock arm on those)

This pic is of a 10HP snow blower engine in progress.

Amusing you are removing the Gov, (Go here if never done one on these big boys http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/tecumseh-engines/13626-big-gov.html )

Take off the thumb throttle unit and drill out the rivet in the middle from the rear . (blue) Take all the parts off. Some of these will have two bushings so save the other for another Tecumseh engine. (red)

The bushing is needed for the control arm to free float and the arm must be slightly thinner than the lip on the bushing so it works freely when the nut is tightened down. (red right)

For the arm I used the Gov plate inside the engine since it is the perfect thickness for the bushing. shape to taste and drill holes for the return spring and throttle rod.

Use 10x32 screws and nuts for the arm pivot and to mount the other stuff.

The throttle mount is just a thick enough piece steel that's twisted and drilled to match the stock 10x32holes. (green) (two screws)

Cut and bend a "Z" in the linkage rod (like stock) (purple) and make sure there's no binding and zero chance of it coming off. (Go slow or mock up with bailing wire) If you screw up, a sproke from a ten speed bike will work,,, the throttle mount adjustment is also off a parted ten speed. :wink: (yellow)

Attach a strong enough spring to return the hand grip throttle every time. (orange)

Last edited:
Nice work! I must have thrown away at least 5 of those throttle assemblies :hammer: Great idea about the 10 speed spokes for linkage rods... I'da never thought of that :thumbsup:

Nice work! I must have thrown away at least 5 of those throttle assemblies :hammer: Great idea about the 10 speed spokes for linkage rods... I'da never thought of that :thumbsup:

The spokes are just a hair wider but plentiful, How many per wheel? :doah: ) It came to me when I was cutting up a bunch of free bikes, the tubing is perfect for exhaust pipes and some other parts come in handy as well.

Costs about 25 cents and the 3-5 HP's are easier since you don't have to make the arm and keep the gov arm and linkage on,,, just add bushing.

H35 >>>>>>