A build for speed

noseoil

I'm in the planning stages for a mini bike built for top speed. Not wanting a drag bike necessarily, but something which will go very fast on the top end. I'd like input on wheel & tire combinations to do this.

The front tire will most likely be an 8" spinner rim for a 5/8" axle, but not sure about tire choices for a high speed run.

The back tire will be set up on a 1" live axle with hub, sprocket & disc brake parts. I'd like to use a 15" O.D. rear tire if possible, so I don't know what's available in this profile to turn fairly high rpms & hold together at speed. Would like input from members who have done something like this & a combination of wheel & tire to make it work. Thanks, tim

delray

looking for top speed and a tire that can handle it. i would think any street legal scooter/moped tire could handle the speed for the front and for the back ? are you looking for a wide tire?

noseoil

Don't need a wide tire, but the scooter tires are rated for 62 mph & I'm planning on going faster than that with the build. I guess a narrow kart slick would work & a scooter tire should be OK, just trying to find something "safe" that will go faster than the usual stuff. Thanks

delray

noseoil
I'm planning on going faster than that
ok, you might need a helment......:scooter:
:laugh:
there is a knobby tire that is rating at 62mph ? don't know if that would work for your application:shrug:

A DOT rated scooter tire is going to hold to prolonged speeds in excess of 60 MPH longer than your 5/8" on straight bearings will.

I run two bikes with those tires by the way, and they provide a street-worthy ride and traction, (Powell and Gote) albeit nothing near 60, or otherwise full size motorcycle speeds.

Otherwise, Eric hits on the nail with cassettes and kart gear.

Personally, I wouldn't worry so much about being DOT tires etc. I got my bicycle rolling down Mt. Lemmon at 55+mph. Any tires that aren't bald or rotted should hold up at that speed. When I choose a tire, the main variable is traction. What type of surface will you be riding on when you're topped out? A smaller contact patch will reduce friction. Thus improving efficiency and a higher top speed. However, you sacrifice handling when you reduce the contact patch. Gotta choose between comfort and safety or speed and ball busting. Finding a balance is usually where people want to be. If you're on open pavement, pizza cutters would be ideal for top speed. If you're on gravel, some thin/soft nobby's would be fast. Also keep in mind, the entire power band. How fast do you want to get up to top speed? The amount of torque upon take off will effect choice of rear tire/wheels.

Personally, I wouldn't worry so much about being DOT tires etc. I got my bicycle rolling down Mt. Lemmon at 55+mph.
Hell ya! I've done that at a campground. Fun as heck until I got pulled over by the ranger.

As for the tires, what about a tire from a small motorcycle? Talking out of my :asshole:: maybe a Grom?

Daniel Coop

Might consider some super pocket bike tires? I have them on my Po'White Trash DB. They're the most stable at speed compared to any of my other bikes with different tires. I know you can get them in 8" sizes, but as far as bearings go, what about those ceramic bearings I keep hearing about? Do they make them im 5/8 size and will they hold up better to consistent speeds? Be curious to see what you come up with. Especially after meeting you and chatting in person. You seemed quite sharp. Definitely be watching.

Last edited: