A prayer for the boys of the deep

I am an atheist, but I work in the deep.

In the situation those fellows have faced all these weeks I will pray too.
That escape capsule in all honesty does not leave me with good feeling. There are no dogs to catch and no man way to climb. The hoist I see on the news ( and I work on hoist REAL ones ) looks awful small. A raise bore hole os no place for man nor beast...

All my hopes and best wishes to the 33 riding that little cage and I hope you will take a moment in your own way keep them in your heart hope for a miracle tonight.

Thank You
OldSchool

I'm glad those Miners got out OK, took some fortitude without a doubt. From what I understand these men are devout as religion goes and prayed daily, whatever gets you through a potentially deadly and very stressfull time is good! And I believe prayers are helpful.

When this whole thing started I remember hearing that a wife and girlfriend of one of the miners showed up at the site. I wonder if hes going to volunteer to go last.:wink:

I don't think I ever heard of a rescue from this depth using a raise like this.
The sun on their face must feel good.....

As I predicted no barfing or freaking out. These guys are hardened.
Its hard to explain the friendship and bond you develop working with guys underground. Ass holes & girly men don't last ( the tougher ladies do just fine ). Once you weed out the people who aren't any good you left with real tough reliable people. The tell you about their wives and kids and problems. Your "Brothers" tell you things they would not tell their wives...

The fact they were trapped in large group probably helped.

Back in the day at INCO we had multiple escape routes and man ways, we had refuge stations fresh air and eshaust raises. Most mines in Canada are laid out in a way that you can walk or climb to safety ( even old captive stopes had more than one way out ).

There is no reasonable reason for all the deaths and accidents I see. When you figuere in the presure and geology where I work these accidents should not be happening. I walked out of some pretty big bumbs ( one aproaching 3.0 ), someone needs to be asking a lot more questions of the mining industry.
In light of the recent fire up at Kidd mine and the at Potash Corp last year I am starting to wonder if safety here is going to hell with companies like Vale and Xstrata.

We should be striving to reach for the top and bring up the standards everywhere, not sitting on our behinds, back sliding and meeting in the midle.....

The third world is no longer unobtainable, safety and labor cost are only a couple aspects that can balance out "digging a new hole". Mining has beeen exploitive for over 150 years. Thank the world market. Is there enough for everyone?

banjo

I don't think I ever heard of a rescue from this depth using a raise like this.
The sun on their face must feel good.....

As I predicted no barfing or freaking out. These guys are hardened.
Its hard to explain the friendship and bond you develop working with guys underground. Ass holes & girly men don't last ( the tougher ladies do just fine ). Once you weed out the people who aren't any good you left with real tough reliable people. The tell you about their wives and kids and problems. Your "Brothers" tell you things they would not tell their wives...

The fact they were trapped in large group probably helped.

Back in the day at INCO we had multiple escape routes and man ways, we had refuge stations fresh air and eshaust raises. Most mines in Canada are laid out in a way that you can walk or climb to safety ( even old captive stopes had more than one way out ).

There is no reasonable reason for all the deaths and accidents I see. When you figuere in the presure and geology where I work these accidents should not be happening. I walked out of some pretty big bumbs ( one aproaching 3.0 ), someone needs to be asking a lot more questions of the mining industry.
In light of the recent fire up at Kidd mine and the at Potash Corp last year I am starting to wonder if safety here is going to hell with companies like Vale and Xstrata.

We should be striving to reach for the top and bring up the standards everywhere, not sitting on our behinds, back sliding and meeting in the midle.....
Very well said old school. I am a freelance electrician and often (now) work at a silica mine in Iowa. Gladly saftey is all important there. I also see MSHA there nearly weekly.