A trip to the dump

SO the wife sends me off to the dump today and I am dropping enough chritmas ornaments and crap to make santa throw up.

When I look over the recyle center and spot this little fellow.

http://www.chpower.com/images/product/medium/FP209599AV_medium.jpg

Its been busted up and its dirty but its only a dollar...
All it needs is an on off switch and I can live with the missing bits.

Going to go snap a photo right now.

OK snapped a few of my recent freebies.

Freebie compressors ( note the old blue fellow just needed the motor taken apart and cleaned and see the fresh coat of red Gylptal on the motor ya I did a little work plus added a second start cap.... Yes I need to buy a proper start cap for it but its low on a list of things as you can see its a real freak show in NOS's work shop of horrors)

Shed construction continues this year with insulation and windows and such.
Wife cut me off last summer and I am still playing catch up.

See the 165 also a garbage pick.
Complete too but I started stripping it.
Found it with a rust seized engine, but that too can be cured since it broke free with a little oil.
Going to do a rebuild with some tak off parts and make that engine new.
But that engine is destine for the dump pick snow blow not pictured.

Vice and Grinder I did not need but free is free man.

And I have this giant free drill press in the old shed waiting for rehab ( 600v 3 phase so I need to dump pick a motor. Thats why I keep going to the dump guys I need a 4 pole 3/4 single phase motor, )

Too much stuff on the go.....
I need to avoid other peoples garbage.
I just wish folks would stop throwing away things I can use lol

Hey also just barely in the frame is the white fuel tank of the dump pick Kerosun portable heater too. ( near the gas can in the top frame )
Just needs a cleaning and a wick.

I have issues don't I lol

I love the dump.......
Sheds fill up faster than you can build them

Last edited:
Its sort of a sad reflection on our society that everything ends up in the garbage today.
Even if its just in need of minor repair....

The old blue compressor at least shows its previous owner was no dummy.
The motor on that is not original and turns the wrong direction.
The compressor head does not care other than a cooling fan that now blows instead of sucks.

And another thing.
All of the good stuff was not made in China.

This vice was made in the UK.
The compressor was made in Canada ( as was its replacement motor ).
The grinder was made in the USA.
The Drill press was made in Canada too!
The kerosun heater is Jap but thats ok....

Everything else is Chinese.
My drills and saw are Chinese and even my boxes of screws and nails are Chinese now.

I consulted a T Eaton Catalog I found at work a while back to put a net value on things ( from 1975 )
As it turns out all these tools and things are now about 20-40% less to buy in face dollar values.
I need to sit down and factor in inflation for the real dollar value but I am willing to bet you all these modern tools cost less than half today to buy.

There are a couple of reasons I can give you for that.
Most obvious the wages paid the Chinese fellow to make them are so low.
Transportation costs are lower now than they have ever been to move goods around the world.
The decline in commodity prices over the past 50 years ( speaking of the overall trend on real dollars )
Substitution of plastics for metal.
CAD and CAM influences that reduced both the input of material and manpower to fabricate.
The general decline in quality of course.

SO its reasonable to toss everything away isn't it?
I don't, if your like me and find the idea of tossing away something you could fix almost and offence then the world is deeply screwed up.

People wonder why they have no money or jobs well a trip to the dump is an eye opening reason.
All our wealth ends up in the garbage.
We outsource it then buy it and toss it away.
I often wonder what life would be like if governments introduced a minimum service life law to durable goods.

Imagine for a second if everything came with a minimum expected life before repair of 10 years?
Prices would jump up.
The fix it shops would return....
The things you buy you would treat as dear and even try and fix yourself
People would have more brass in pocket again.

You know with rare exception I do not buy much.
Never bought a new lawn mower for example.
There's always one of those at the dump that needs a minor repair and off you go cutting grass for the summer.
But I am just amazed by what people put to the streets.
Maybe the only thing that surprises me more is how fast it disappears too.
But its not people fixing it, its the scrap metal mongers that take it to be crushed and cubed ad loaded in a ship back to china.

The first bed I had was a mattress on the floor, saved up and build the pine frame for under it by hand. Always been proud to be able to provide for myself.

Heard things aren't so good in China anyway, new generation want phones, tech new cloths and everything we have, and they're not going to work for free forever.

The wheel is round my friend - keep pillaging what you can :laugh:

The first bed I had was a mattress on the floor, saved up and build the pine frame for under it by hand. Always been proud to be able to provide for myself.

Heard things aren't so good in China anyway, new generation want phones, tech new cloths and everything we have, and they're not going to work for free forever.

The wheel is round my friend - keep pillaging what you can :laugh:
I doubt it to be honest.
there's always someone who will make it cheaper you know lol.

Since your neck off the woods in SA you may be familiar with a lot of things we don't commonly see this side of the pond.

Maybe you have a Victa lawn mower, or you know someone who is still driving a car with whitworth bolts in it lol.

Maybe you have an old villiers running a pump?
You know this AE25 is a darn good knock off of the MK25....
I hate to say it but can you imagine how cool that would look in a mini with a decent header and carb?

Forgot to add:
Its Indian not Chinese, I figure thats where the next loads of cheap stuff comes from after the Chinese.
But that will likely prevent the real wage growth in China from ever taking hold because they will bleed jobs too.

Last edited:
im with you nos......I look at others trash as something of use.....and it doesn't take long to get buried in it....it sickens me..........:doah:

Incase anyone missed it that GK 100 sure looks like the engine on a stock DB right?

Its a clone of the Discontinued Honda G100 with an indigenous kerosene dual tank conversion.

Kerosene is much cheaper than gasoline in Indonesia....