Airfilter preference

Does anyone have an opinion on K&N air filters vs. fabric air filters that are similar in appearance to K&N filters? Are they just as good or is there a big difference?

My opinion is that most air filters made by a well known brand will do the job. I also believe that changing to a 'high performance' air filter will make almost no difference to power.

K&N filters have won more races then any other brand air filter, and what they say is what you get... i run K&N filters on all my race mowers and minibikes, and the difference is clear... you cannot get the kind of results that a K&N gets with any other brand air filter...their DEFINATELY worth the money!

In my opinion, any "high performance" air filter is not a good idea unless its for a "racing only" engine. The companies all claim their filter give "more flow". Why? Because it does not filter the air as well. It will let bigger particulates go past the filter and into the engine.

For a racing engine, it doesn't matter since the engine will be rebuilt after every few races. But on an engine that is expected to run for years without a rebuild, the cylinder wall will get all scratched very quickly in a dusty environment.

Stock air filters are very effective at stopping dirt from entering an engine. That's what an air filter is for, right? If you need more flow, just install a larger stock air filter.