alky motor

65ShelbyClone

a quick question from me: how much more expensive is alcohol then regular unleaded gas?
Depends on who you buy it from. I've heard as low as ~$3.00/gal when purchased in bulk. The retards around here want $8.00/gal. I'll drive 2hrs to get E-85 before I get ripped off like that.

65ShelbyClone

A healthy bump in compression helps too. Unless you have an engine built to take advantage of 115 octane fuel, the gains with methanol will be minimal and the cost quite high. The engine will use twice as much fuel and the fuel will cost twice as much, so the fuel usage cost will increase roughly 400% with a power gain in the 10-15% range. That doesn't include the fact that you'll have to flush the fuel system every time you store the engine more than a day and the oil will have to be changed far more often.

well all i want to do is gain a like more power without the price and the extensive mods. can i use use the store bought like happy harrys alcohol or is there a special kind of alcohol? where can i get a new alky carb? and how much(if you know) its for a 8hp briggs no points bone stock (so far).

65ShelbyClone

Suit yourself.

You need fuel-grade methanol, not hardware store denatured alcohol(which is actually ethyl alcohol with a touch of methanol so you can't drink it). Fuel grade methanol is usually guaranteed to be 98% pure or better(usually ~99%+. Hardware store stuff isn't.

Pump E-85 is a cheaper, easier option that doesn't need a special carb nor will it eat your fuel system. The gains are smaller, however. You still need to jet up about 30%.