Alternate Fuels

Just wondering if anyone knew of any alternate fuels to be used in any Briggs or Tecumseh motors that cost less or equal to the price of gas and are readily available and that can be used with little engine modification..Thanks:thumbsup:

Well back in the day you could buy white gas for off road use. Technicaly that stuff was for lanterns but you could bu it in bulk for less than pump gas and most flat heads were OK with it ( sometimes you have to run 2 head gaskets ).
Then there was the Kerosene kit for the B&S motors. That was a dual tank system you ran two head gaskets to lower compression. Start on gasoline untill warm and then switch to Kerosene switch back to gas at shut down to clear the fuel system * they could be a devil to start cold if you didn't ).

If you take a GX 160 with a dish piston and run the fat head gasket with 22cc head this will probably burn Kerosene, maybe even winter diesel.

65ShelbyClone

Unless you can find E85 for at least 20-30% less than the fuel you're running now, no, there really aren't any fuels that are ulitimately more cost effective nor as easy to find than pump gasoline.

I don't consider E85 a good "alternative" to pump gas anyway, but that's another discussion...

What does K1 bulk cost per gallon in your area? If its not cheoar than pump gs and diesel something is very very wrong.

Expect 10% better fuel ecconomy burning K1 ( more BTUs ) nut about an equal loss in power.....

65ShelbyClone

I haven't checked 55gal drum prices, but heater kerosene is about $10/gal here. Gas and diesel are in the low $3 range and creeping up weekly. It is Kalifornia after all...:thumbdown:

On a side note, xylene is $16/gal and VP Street Blaze 100 is $7.60/gal. That's why I always say that it's far cheaper to buy race gas than to mix it yourself. Some crackpots even advocate distilling your own ethanol for fuel. Aside from being even more hugely energy inefficient than commercial production of ethanol, you'll have at least $15 and several hours of time invested in each gallon. :eek:ut:

If you want to do something wild, look into woodgas. :wink:

10 dollars a gallon for K1?

In some US states its sold retail at pumps in the local gas bar....

There is also Jet A ( wide cut Kerosene ) that should be cheaper than pump gas.

Mad world when Kerosene is more expensive than gasoline.

Ya I figuered as much here its around 8 dollars a US gallon at places like CTC. Screw them I buy Jet A from, the air port.

I collect old gas lanterns and torches. Obviously you need fuel but its total unreasonable to pay double the real price ( 16 dollars a gallon for Nahptha thats 8 in the USA ).

So I have learned to follow the source, run alternative fuels and modify things. A good example is the 237 and 247 lanterns. They will burn pump gas, Jet A or winter diesel in a pinch. Saves a lot of cash.

Understanding combustion is the firt step to tuning anything form a gas burner mini bike diesel truck or lantern....

YouTube - Coleman lanterns

i read saw and heard in a couple of places puting 2 capfulls per litter of pure assitone in the gas helps it combust more effeiciently works like det cord in the gas "best way to explain it" even saw it on mythbusters and they confirmed it , i tried it last sunday on a ditch ride and it seamed to run a little smoother even while idle , like a cheap immonium nitrate , im only sure this works on pump gas

65ShelbyClone

I saw that episode too and the Mythbusters test was anything but comprehensive or representative of real life. I've been there, done the acetone thing, and didn't even get a lousy t-shirt, let alone better fuel economy. Actually, my economy didn't change at all, so buying the extra acetone actually made my cost-per-tank higher. I did, however, gain 5mpg by changing and being more conscious of my driving....and that was free.

The only purpose acetone serves in fuel is to better keep premix oil suspended in methanol.