Alternate/Longer Brake & Throttle setups

Hi all,

As I get closer to getting my Baja done I am looking to the future and how to better setup the bike. The previous owner 'upgraded' the bars to a 1" "ape hanger" style bar,

12246764_10153322955847879_616580786709198880_n.jpg

Either way, im not a huge fan of the cable sleeves hanging out in free air in order for them to be long enough and to not bind as the bars are turned. The biggest issue is the brake cable. I want to mount it on the left side of the bars but they are to high etc for that to safely work at this time. Is there an alternate cable I can use that is about a foot longer.

As for the throttle. I may need a new setup as the one on the bike currently doesnt have a good return to it. There is no springs at all in the grip area and so the throttle hangs open because of this. I will need a better setup in the near future.

Welcome to the forum Chris.
There are no springs in the actual grip. If the throttle is not returning back to idle smoothly, check the carb, all of the linkages and the cable itself for rust, corrosion and or binding. The air filter cover being off and letting all of the rain and weather in does not look promising. You may end up needing a new carburetor.
As for cables, OldMiniBikes Warehouse has a great selection of O.E.M Baja parts. You may be better off going back to stock. I.E. Stock handle bars, stock brake lever / cable, carburetor and throttle setup etc...

Hope this helps,
Shawn

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum Chris.
There are no springs in the actual grip. If the throttle is not returning back to idle smoothly, check the carb, all of the linkages and the cable itself for rust, corrosion and or binding. The air filter cover being off and letting all of the rain and weather in does not look promising. You may end up needing a new carburetor.
As for cables, OldMiniBikes Warehouse has a great selection of O.E.M Baja parts. You may be better off going back to stock. I.E. Stock handle bars, stock brake lever / cable, carburetor and throttle setup etc...

Hope this helps,
Shawn
Since this photo it does have a new carberator on it :) Ive managed to find a bike shop that made me a longer throttle cable sleeve and its working perfectly :) I did get a new brake cable from OldMiniBikes although im not sure how I am going to work it yet. I like these bars and would like to make it work but we will have to see. I will probably print myself a new air box cover as well, something to keep the rain and crap out. This is how the bike sits as of yesterday.

IMG_20160518_183041.jpg

You can make anything if you try hard enough.

But you have to try.
My issue is safety and the huge lack of finding anything here :p I have been able to adapt a mountain bike brake lever to a replacement lever I bought and hooked the brake up. Actually working pretty good although I think the brake is pretty worn down.

I wanted to run Left side brake but I am just sticking to right side brake again. So far so good

Go to Canadian tire and ask who services the bikes in your area.

Very likely they sell quads and all kinds of bikes at the service company and you can find what you need.

Failing this PM me and I will hold you hand and walk you through how to make parts that are safe and reliable.