Aluminum 3 inch tube gas tank

I’m interested in fabricating my own round aluminum tank but I have questions.
Do you guys use 1/8 aluminum?
Is it extruded or drawn? what type of aluminum, 6061, 6063 or something else?
Where are you getting your small parts like bungs, necks and caps?
Any good online sources for material?

I appreciate any help you guys can provide. Thanks!

bruces

It’s a fuel tank for a mini bike ,not the space shuttle .I weld up thin sheet aluminum for fuel tanks ,1/8”is overkill ,something around 20 gauge give or take is all you need .I often source it from my scrap pile and use what I have ,I used to fix transport trucks and have lots of assorted metal around .An industrial rad shop might have the bungs and fittings you need ,we had a good shop here that closed up years ago that was well stocked ,fortunately I have things in my scrap pile or I get my neighbour to machine me something if really needed .Summit racing might have aluminum fittings and bungs etc.I guess since you are looking for round ,a piece of any aluminum pipe might be easier to deal with ,like I said it’s not the space shuttle so extruded or drawn would make zero difference for your purposes .

Made this one years ago. I had some extruded aluminum tube not sure if it was 3 or 4" made the end caps, bought an aluminum fuel bung and cap on eBay and made the bottom bung from scrap aluminum. Hardest part was making the end caps. In the end I did not like the way it looked and sold it and got a fiberglass tank from 125crazy.

Attachments