Another old H35

Snow blower engine....hard to read but looks like '68. Nice condition.
Was thinking 61 or 71 based on the second series of numbers after the word serial. So it's the first series of numbers after the word serial? So what does that second series mean?

And yeah it's in pristine condition. Gonna look great when I take that heater box off and the snow protector off the recoil. Debating on if I should re-paint it. It way be wrong to strip such a well preserved paint job...

markus

Was thinking 61 or 71 based on the second series of numbers after the word serial. So it's the first series of numbers after the word serial? So what does that second series mean?

And yeah it's in pristine condition. Gonna look great when I take that heater box off and the snow protector off the recoil. Debating on if I should re-paint it. It way be wrong to strip such a well preserved paint job...

:doah: here we go again :laugh: first set of numbers....2nd set would be like a specific number to that engine or maybe run of engines, like if you returned it for warranty or something. for whatever reason they dropped that when they retooled and started stamping which was during 1971 year, then they started to add the last digit to the serial number to simplify (make it cheaper and faster)

only problem with taking the extra guards off and engine like that is it will be raw and unpainted underneath.

Last edited:

delray

yep,looks like a 68 from the ID tag and also from looking at the top of the tin work on the recoil cover it would be late 60's to early 70's design only......:thumbsup:

:doah: here we go again :laugh: first set of numbers....2nd set would be like a specific number to that engine or maybe run of engines, like if you returned it for warranty or something. for whatever reason they dropped that when they retooled and started stamping which was during 1971 year, then they started to add the last digit to the serial number to simplify (make it cheaper and faster)

only problem with taking the extra guards off and engine like that is it will be raw and unpainted underneath.

Ok gotcha.. first set o' numbers.

Hmm hadn't thought about the paint under the guards. Well they are coming off so I guess I'll repaint...

markus

yep,looks like a 68 from the ID tag and also from looking at the top of the tin work on the recoil cover it would be late 60's to early 70's design only......:thumbsup:
actually late 60's only. I have found that they started to just use the HS40 shrouds on the small block H engines beginning in 1970, at least on mini bike specific engines that I have had.

The difference with them is the 69-down is perfectly rounded where the HS series had the flat spot at the head bolts and the oval unused hole up on top. I know the HS40's were already like that 68-69 so I think they were just simplifying the line.

Here's an original 1970 H35 from a 1970 rupp I redid:

markus

Here is another photo of a late 60,s. Before they press that line into the tin work. I wonder why they did that?

I think that is because the HS heads are bigger, but I am not sure if thats the reason, havent actually tried to fit the H shroud on an HS yet. They may have changed the head a little on the H in 1970 too for all I know, doesnt look like it but they seemed to make some other changes about that time as well.

Took off the snow blower bits and its not that bad underneath. But sure can't leave it like that. So i'll repaint it. Probably white. These snow blower throttle mounts look like they'd convert to a minibike throttle pretty easily. Anyone convert one? I'd imagine a return spring somewhere would do it, No?

Mnr81

That's a great question...I recently picked up an engine off an old ariens snoblower and I think it's an h35 side popper but not sure. I was going to buy the tecumseh minibike throttle control assembly, but any suggestions on alternatives or general advice on this engine would be great! How is that diaphragm carb?

IMG]http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/
v2/14/11/01/dd29b32b475b1179118d2f53f261fa43.jpg[/IMG]

oldfatguy

one nice thing about those Toro engines is they all have steel bores. I have noticed that the carb manifold has a small bore in it, I think it was for low end power on the snow blower.